Mi Young gasps, eyes going wide in shock. She stumbles back, away from Kang, clutching the hilt of the knife still protruding from her chest. She takes one final, shuddering breath before crumpling to the ground.

And just like that, your friend is gone.

You barely feel the tears as they cascade down your cheeks, only noticing when they begin blurring your vision. While you cling to Jungkook with one hand, you use the other to hastily wipe the tears away. Everything in you screams to stop, to go back to Mi Young. To wrap your arms around her and never let go. But you know its no use. You know its not what she would have wanted. Unbidden, the guilt of your last words to her creeps in. They were cruel, and ultimately she sacrificed her life to save yours despite them. You shake your head, swallowing the sour taste in your mouth.

I can't waste her sacrifice. She died to protect us, and I won't let that be in vain. There's no time to wallow, not with Kang right behind us.

Jungkook squeezes your hand tighter, pulling you behind him. His hand in yours helps ground you in reality. You sneak another glance over your shoulder, looking for Kang. But all you see is a world of endless forest and snow, held captive by darkness.

Eventually, Jungkook slows, veering to the right as he comes down to a steady walk. You match him, chest heaving as you try to catch your breath. The icy air sends stabbing pains through your lungs, but you ignore it. Jungkook scans the area quickly, but continues walking. His eyes finally land on you.

"Ok, I think it's alright to slow down now. We've been running for awhile and I don't see anything. Hopefully we managed to lose Kang, at least for the time being." He says, voice low in case there actually is anyone nearby. You nod in response, matching his pace and refusing to relinquish his hand. Your heart slows with your steps, body trembling like a leaf in the wind, a mixture of fading adrenaline, exhaustion, and freezing temperatures. Exhaustion begins to set in, slowing your muscles despite your best efforts. And in the center of it all is Mi Young, the look on her face as the life left her body, forever seared in your mind.

I should have trusted her, trusted that she was still my friend. How can she be...gone..just like that..

Your mind fills with Mi Young, memories of her flashing by. You push it down, unwilling to face her death yet. You focus on the things around you, what you can see, hear, and feel. The snow falling lightly to the ground, the crunch under you feet, Jungkook's hand in yours.

You walk in silence for what feels like an eternity, the crunching of snow the only sound you hear.

After some time, Jungkook clears his throat. You glance over, noticing a slight blush rising in his cheeks, piquing your curiosity.

"So y/n...what you said before...did you mean it?" He asks softly, eyes watching the falling snow.

"Did I mean what?" You ask, the harsh words you said to Mi Young immediately flooding your mind, bringing the guilt back with it.

"You know, that you..that you love me. Did you really mean that?" You can hear the nervousness lining his voice, the slight quiver in his fingertips. Instantly, your cheeks bloom, heart quickening, somehow overtaking your exhaustion.

"Oh um, I mean..I thought we were going to die. People say all sorts of crazy things when they think they're about to die." You say, trying to feign lightheartedness, chuckling nervously. You're not sure why you're so anxious. Without a doubt, you know that you love Jungkook. You know how much you need him, how losing him had nearly broken you. But saying that to his face was another thing entirely.

"Y/n" Jungkook stops in his tracks, forcing you to turn and face him. You reluctantly meet his gaze, wordlessly begging your cheeks to cool down.  "I meant it. What I said back in the warehouse. And I didn't just say it because I thought I was going to die. I've felt that way since-"