39

"You said...I risked my life for..you all. But it wasn't..for them." He takes another breath, struggling to speak.

"It was for you. Everything. It was all for you."

You pull away slowly, searching his warm, brown eyes, still sparking with life despite the bullet that tore through his side. In that moment, you see it. Everything that you couldn't see before, or perhaps just didn't want to see. In his eyes, you see the immense, overwhelming love he holds for you, overflowing now, no longer being held back.

"Minho.." you start, but your voice falters, your words failing you. Knowing you can't return his feelings. Knowing you'll only wound him further.

Before you can think of something, anything, to say, the crunching of footsteps grows louder, finally coming to a halt as two boots stop next to you. Jungkook bends down, not looking at you, instead fixing his gaze on Minho.

"Are you able to sit up?" Jungkook asks, voice gruff.

Minho tears his eyes off of you, glancing at Jungkook, and you watch the warmth vanish like wisps of smoke in the wind.

Without waiting for an answer, Jungkook leans forward, hooking one hand around Minho's arm and placing the other on his back, hauling him up to a sitting position. Minho groans, clenching his teeth against the pain. Ignoring him, Jungkook pivots, crouching down in front of your injured friend. He pulls Minho's arms forward, wrapping them around his own shoulders.

"Hang on tight." He says lowly. Without any further hesitation, he heaves, muscles straining as he stands up, dragging Minho with him. Your friend cries out in pain, unable to keep it in as he's lifted up onto Jungkook's back. Eyes widening, you can't help the shock written all over your face, knowing the amount of strength needed for what he just did is staggering.

Why is Jungkook doing this?

Surprise flickers through you, unbidden, immediately followed by shame. Of course Jungkook would help.

Why would he not?

You swallow your guilt, shoving those thoughts aside and focusing on the task at hand: saving your friend's life.

"Well...which way do we go?" Taehyung asks, looking around to see what his hyungs are doing.

Everyone looks at each other blankly. Kang had thrown you all wildly off-course, and now you couldn't be sure how far you were from your parents' farm.

"We should be heading North, right? Well, this way is North. So lets go." Without another word, Jungkook turns and begins trudging through the still-gathering snow, further into the looming woods.

"How in the world does he know which way is North?" Yoongi mutters, sheathing his sword and walking after the maknae. The others follow suit, no one having a better idea of what to do or where to go.

Silence hangs heavy in the air amongst you all, the nearness of death looming so large it is impossible to see past. The only sounds breaking through are the crunching of snow and Minho's labored breathing.

You're not sure how long you go on like this. You watch as Minho slumps lower and lower, watch as Jungkook repeatedly hoists him up. An eternity passes between each shuddering breath that your dying friend takes. In these gaps, the worry gnaws at you, threatening to eat you from the inside out.

We've all survived so much...hordes of monsters, explosions, Boss Kang...it can't end here. Not like this.

Sucking in a breath, you will your thoughts to slow down, but they refuse, relentlessly spiraling out of control. You glance around, trying desperately to distract yourself.