25

A/N
*trigger warning, some not-zombie-related violence ahead*
Not sure if I need to add one of these since some violence is probably expected in an apocalypse book, but I will just in case.

"Y/n...you really shouldn't have followed me." Mi Young says flatly.

You lower your weapon, a sense of dread starting to spread through your veins. Something is very, very wrong. Her eyes are icy, devoid of any warmth or recognition as they watch you. Something else swirls below her icy exterior, something you can't identify. Something new and dark, moving just below the surface. Something that has snuffed out the light in your friend's eyes.

Every fiber of your being screams for you to back away, to get the others and flee.

But its Mi Young. My friend, standing here in front of me. I can't just leave her here.

Ignoring all the alarms and warning lights sounding in your head, you take a step towards your friend.

"Followed..? Mi Young, what's going on? It's me!" You say, hoping beyond hope that this is all some sort of sick joke. That she'll snap out of it, start laughing as she says "gotchya!" That she'll be the Mi Young you know and love.

But that Mi Young is nowhere to be found.

She doesn't answer or give any indication that she remembers you and your friendship at all. Instead, she simply continues to stand there, watching you coldly.

She was afraid before...why was she afraid...

Your mind works feverishly, trying to make sense of the situation. You hear footsteps approaching, spotting Jungkook out of the corner of your eye. He stops as he reaches your side, leaning down to whisper in your ear.

"Y/n, somethings not right. Come on, let's get out of here." His voice is urgent as he tugs lightly on your arm. You shrug his hand off, taking another step forward.

"Mi Young, I don't know what's wrong, but just come with us. We can protect you." Your voice is filled with desperation as you extend your hand, reaching out for your friend. But she's miles away from you.

She glances down at your outstretched hand, a look of fear flashing across her face so briefly, you wonder if you imagined it. When her eyes meet yours again, the cold mask is back in place.

"Y/n, please. Lets go, right now." Jungkook grabs your arm again, more forcefully this time, pleading with you.

A low chuckle slithers out of the shadows behind Mi Young, a sound that sends the hairs on the back of your neck standing straight up.

"You should listen to your friend, little girl."

Emerging from the shadows is a towering man, somehow made even larger simply by the confidence he exudes. His hair is inky black, rippling like waves as he runs a hand through it. A jagged scar mars his otherwise perfectly symmetrical face, bisecting his left eyebrow and stopping just below his well-defined cheekbone, somehow barely missing his eye. Everything about him is exceptionally striking, almost ethereal, and yet, there's an air about him. You don't know exactly what it is, but something about this man makes you wish you were facing down a horde of zombies instead of standing before him now.

He doesn't even need to say his name - you already know who he is.

You take a few staggering steps back and reach wildly for Jungkook, body screaming at you to flee. He grips your hand, turning to sprint back towards the others. But before you can even take another step, two men are there, their guns aimed directly at you. Jungkook steps in front of you, shielding you with his body, one arm pushing you behind him.

"Get those out of my face" he growls at the two men, who simply smirk and keep their weapons up.

More men appear out of nowhere, completely surrounding you and Jungkook, weapons raised. There's nowhere left to run - you're trapped.

A realization crashes through you as you look around, sending your stomach dropping.

The boys!

You glance quickly behind the armed men, back towards the direction you came from. The boys were nowhere to be seen, but that didn't necessarily make you feel any more at ease.

Where are they? Did they escape, or were they captured?

"Was it something I said?" The man with the scar asks innocently, drawing your attention back to him. You can't help the tremors shaking your body as you turn to face him again. Jungkook reluctantly turns too, still using his body to block you from the men pointing guns at you. He shoots one last glare at them before giving his full attention to the man with the scar.

Your eyes flash to Mi Young, searching her face. Even though she's standing there, next to this terrifying man, you refuse to believe she could ever willingly be on his side. Your mind spins round and round, trying to understand her behavior.

Surely it's not what I think...she has to have some sort of ulterior motive...she has to be pretending...there has to be a reason.

The man laughs at your expression, baring his perfect, paper-white teeth, his smile never quite reaching his eyes. He turns to Mi Young, bringing a hand up and wrapping it around the back of her neck. She doesn't move an inch, still as a statue.

"How rude of me, we haven't been properly introduced yet. You must be curious. Mi Young, would you care to do the honors?"

She doesn't speak, seemingly lost in a world of her own as she watches you. Irritation flashes across the man's face, and he tightens his grip on her neck, nails digging into Mi Young's skin. She gasps, eyes squinting shut in pain.

"Stop it! We know who you are! Let her go!" You blurt out before you can stop yourself. You hear a sharp intake of breath from Jungkook.

The man whips his gaze back to you, simply watching you for a moment before a menacing smile creeps up his lips. He releases Mi Young, who rubs the back of her neck, a look of fear on her face as she looks at you. He begins taking very slow, deliberate steps towards you, his long legs easily closing the gap between you. That horrible, wicked smile never leaves his face.

"You know who I am? Well then tell me, little girl..." quick as lightening, he reaches out, hand wrapping tightly around your throat and lifting you off the ground effortlessly, up into the air.

"...who am I?"

You gasp for air, feet kicking, fingers clawing desperately at the hand locked around your neck. Jungkook lunges forward, but is struck on the head with the hilt of a gun before he can make it anywhere near the man holding you in the air. Out of the corner of your eye, you see him hit the ground, groaning as blood trickles down the side of his face. He scrambles, trying to get up, but the man who hit him simply places his foot on his back, pinning him to the ground. He continues struggling, until he hears the sound of the man cocking his gun, aiming it right at his head.

"Please, let her go. You can take me, I don't care. Just let her go." Jungkook pleads and for the first time, you hear fear in his voice.

The man with the scar laughs humorlessly, shaking you slightly. "Hear that? Your boyfriend is begging for your life." Tears begin to well in your eyes as you keep struggling, knowing its futile.

He's too strong..

The man sighs heavily, as though he has the weight of the world resting on his shoulders. "It's really very simple, little girl. Just answer my question, and I'll drop you. Come now, you were so confident before. Tell me. Who. Am. I?"

Black spots have started to dot your vision as the strength leaves your body. With everything you have left in you, you choke it out. The answer to his question.

"...Boss...Kang..."

A/N
Unedited.
Dun dun DUN. We've finally met the infamous Boss Kang (not that that's something to be celebrated, clearly).
I hope you all are still enjoying the story. Thank you for sticking with it! Please share your thoughts in the comments - I would love to know what you think is going on with Mi Young/what you think of Boss Kang. And, as always, don't forget to vote! 💜
- m.