30

You slip through the waning shadows behind Jungkook, gun held at the ready as you race towards your family. The sky lightens ever so slightly, alerting you that dawn is near. The coming light will be a welcome reprieve from the all-consuming darkness surrounding you as you maneuver the seemingly-endless woods. The dark offers too much opportunity for humans and beasts alike to hide. Over and over again, you've felt like eyes are watching you from the shadows, just waiting to strike.

You're all too ready for the light to chase away the dark.

The snow has mercifully stopped falling, which will also help improve your vision. All sound is muffled by the thick blanket of snow on the forest floor, but you can still hear crunching as your feet move forward, as well as the sound of quick breaths from Jungkook. Small clouds stream from your mouth as you breathe the cold air in and out, and before long, you find yourself focusing on these clouds, trying to keep your mind distracted from the forest that feels more and more like an eternal maze.

Just as you start to think that the monotony of the trees is going to drive you mad, Jungkook slows, eventually stopping in a small clearing and turning to you.

"I think we should stop for a second. Catch our breathe and stuff." He says. Something about him is odd, as though he's trying too hard to act casual. He shifts his feet, readjusting his rifle in his hands and not quite meeting your eyes.

"Um ok..shouldn't we just push through and keep going though? We don't exactly have unlimited time right now." You reply, curiosity piqued by his strange demeanor.

"It's ok, it'll just be a few minutes. Um why don't you stay here, and I'm just gonna go over there for a few minutes. Then we can get going again. Sound good?" His smile is somewhat forced as he starts taking a few steps away from you.

"What? You want to split up? That is literally always a bad idea. That's when people die in scary movies." You look at him intently, one eyebrow raised in question.

He just laughs, still backing away. "No nothing like that, its fine. I'll be back in a second, don't worry."

"Jungkook, stop. What's going on? You're acting weird."

"Weird? No I'm not, I'm being totally normal." He laughs again, looking down at the snow around his feet and rubbing the back of his neck.

"Jungkook." You say firmly. He sighs.

"Fine. I really have to go to the bathroom ok? But there is no way that I am doing that in front of you, so please just stay right here and I promise I will be right back." His cheeks erupt, red spreading across them as he finally meets your eyes.

You snort, immediately clapping a hand over your mouth as you try in vain to stop your laughter.  

"Stop laughing, its not funny! I'm bursting over here!" Jungkook whines, his bottom lip jutting out as his blush deepens.

"Kook, how old are you?? We're in an apocalypse - you can tell me that you need to stop to use the bathroom. It's literally the last thing I am concerned about." You laugh.

"Ugh whatever, just stay here, please!" He turns, stomping away through the snow, eventually disappearing into the shadows.

"Aish, even when he pouts, he's cute." You mumble to yourself, smile still lingering on your lips. Shaking your head, you start turning in small circles, surveying your immediate surroundings.

After a few moments, you hear the sound of crunching snow again somewhere behind you. Surprised, you turn towards the sound.

"You're back already? That was fa-" you're cut off by the sound of a sharp, loud crack splitting the air.