14

Present Day

You plummet towards the dark, unforgiving water below. Jungkook clutches you to his chest, arms like a vice around you as you fall. Cold wind whips past you, water rushing up to meet you. You cling to Jungkook for dear life.

An eternity and a second pass all at once, and then you're crashing into the river.

The icy water slices through you, stealing the breath in your lungs as you sink into the black depths.

A Few Months Ago

No one moves. Everyone stands huddled in the living room, breath frozen. All eyes are trained on your front door, where the pounding continues.

"Zombies don't know how to knock, right?" Jimin whispers fervently, eyes stretched wide.

Jin smacks the back of Jimin's head. "Yah, what are you saying? Of course zombies can't knock, they're dead." Jimin scowls, rubbing the back of his head. He opens his mouth to answer, but is cut off by a new voice.

"Please, open the door! I'm not infected, I need help! Please!" The voice on the other side is desperate, practically screeching as he continues to frantically bang on the door. All fears flee your mind as you hear that panic-stricken voice, and you rush forward. But a hand stops you, shooting out and grabbing your arm.

"What are you doing? We don't know who that is or if they've been bitten! They could be lying. We can't let them in." Jungkook hisses, dark eyes boring into yours.

"Or they could be telling the truth and they need us." You shrug out of his grip. "You said it yourself, we need to help each other now more than ever." You don't give him a chance to answer, turning on your heel and rushing for the door.

"Y/n!"
"No, wait!"
"Don't!"

The other boys call out, but you ignore them, unlocking the door and turning the knob. You fling it open, finding a tall, dark-haired man on the other side. There are scrapes marring his cheekbone and the bridge of his nose, but he seems otherwise uninjured. He stands there with his fists still raised, blinking big, brown eyes at you in surprise. Not hesitating, you grab his arm, yanking him into the apartment and shutting the door behind him.

Before you get a chance to speak, you hear Taehyung's voice behind you, filled with shock.

"Hyung???"

He rushes forward, pulling the man into a rib-crushing embrace. You look at the man curiously. In the scramble to get him in the door, you hadn't taken a moment to really look at him. As he releases a crying Taehyung, your jaw drops as you recognize the man before you:

Choi Minho.

"You can't believe how happy I am to see you. But what are you doing here? How did you get here?" He asks Taehyung, who's busy wiping the tears from his eyes. Taehyung turns, gesturing to you as he says "its kind of a long story. This is y/n-ah's apartment. We know her from work, and she brought us here when...when everything started."

Minho steps towards you and bows, taking you by surprise. His eyes lock with yours as he rises. "Thank you for letting me in. You saved my life. I honestly don't know how I can ever repay you." His eyes are soft, his voice filled with sincerity and gratitude. You clear your throat, waving a hand as the heat rises in your cheeks.

"Ani, it was nothing. I just did what anyone would do." You glance away, inexplicably embarrassed by the attention of the man before you.

"But Hyung, what are you doing here? What happened?" Taehyung asks, eyeing the scrapes on Minho's face.