16

A light breeze ruffles your hair, tickling your nose and gently rousing you from your sleep. Sunlight gently kisses your cheeks, warming you. Completely content, you lay there, eyes shut. As your mind slowly wakes, you realize there are arms holding you firmly against a rock-solid chest. The events of last night come crashing back to you, and your eyes fly open, remembering who those arms belong to. But before you can move, the door opens behind you, and you hear a soft "oh" escape someone's lips.

No no no no no no. Your mind screams, embarrassment flooding through you.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt! I was wondering where Kook was and-" a startled Taehyung says hurriedly, already trying to back away through the door. You don't give him a chance to finish, struggling out of Jungkook's grasp and sitting up quickly. In your haste, you inadvertently push the still-sleeping man next to you. He tumbles right off the balcony chair, landing on the concrete with a dull thud. Groaning, he sits up, blearily peering up at you.

"Yah! What was that? Why did you push me?" His voice is deep and raspy as he squints up at you, but you ignore him, turning instead to Taehyung, who's eyes are still stretched wide in surprise.

"No no, you didn't interrupt anything! This isn't what it looks like! I had a nightmare, and I came to the balcony to get some fresh air and Jungkook was already out here and-" you frantically try to explain, but Taehyung waves his hands, cutting you off.

"It's ok, I won't tell anyone-"

"No there's nothing to tell! I've just been having these nightmares and Jungkook was helping me, as a friend. That's all!" Your face is on fire, not helping at all in your attempt to convince Taehyung, who keeps glancing between you and Jungkook curiously.

"It's true, Hyung." Jungkook speaks up, groaning again as he hauls himself up off the ground. He stands, brushing himself off and looking at Taehyung. "Nothing happened. Y/n has been having nightmares about losing us, all of us. Just like she said, she came out here last night, not knowing that I was already here. I wanted to help her sleep and I thought maybe if she wasn't alone, she wouldn't have any more nightmares." His eyes move to you, an unreadable expression lingering in the black depths. "We're just friends. That's all."

"Ok ok, I believe you. Sorry for the misunderstanding." Taehyung says, hands held up in surrender. He turns to you, concern etched on the planes of his face. "Y/n, I'm so sorry you've been having nightmares - I had no idea!" He whines, swooping down and enveloping you in a hug, breaking off the weighted look between you and Jungkook.

"Thanks Tae. It's ok, I'm fine" you pat his back and release him, trying in vain to hide your still-bright red cheeks.

"Anyways, I'm glad I found you both. We have a problem." He glances between you, the seriousness in his face making your stomach churn uneasily. You glance back at Jungkook before standing and following Taehyung through the door.

Inside, the air is tense as the collective anxiety permeates the room. Jimin, Hoseok, and Yoongi sit silently on the couch, while Minho sits in the armchair. He looks up at your entrance, eyes darting between you and Jungkook, but you don't notice. Your eyes find the last two members. Namjoon stands, clearly lost in thought, arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed as he stares at the ground. Jin, on the other hand, paces rapidly, wearing a hole in the rug.

"What's going on?" Jungkook asks, brows furrowed as he glances around the room.

The questions snaps Namjoon out of his reverie. He looks up, eyes serious as they settle on both you and Jungkook.