Chapter 32: Hurry Up. Please.

Location: on the Skeld, heading to the planet Polus

Red

After the Peach incident, they were nearing Polus.

Everyone was gathered at the ship windows, gazing outside as they neared the small, icy planet.

Wren and Talon were pressed against the window, completely mesmerized. Black was there also, and she had the exact same look in her eyes as the two kids.

The three of them looked like children waking up on Christmas morning to see piles of presents under the tree.

Red smiled at the sight of them, knowing that it was not a moment to be missed.

With him, Pink and Purple were also on the outskirts of the throng of people gathered in Cafeteria.

Turning, Red left to find Maroon, who was in Navigation, about to land the ship. He knew that landing on Polus was one of the newer things that mission leaders were trained to do, and if Maroon was still new to her job, she may need assistance.

When he made it to Weapons, he stopped, realizing that there was a lot of space debris coming up, and most of it consisted of icy rocks.

Some of those rocks looked like hazards to the ship's safety.

Thinking fast, Red got onto the Weapons chair and activated the system.

The chair rose, elevating him above the floor, and the screen lit up, displaying the diagram of the ship with the debris detection.

There were several blinking warnings, alerting Red to the presence of several approaching large rocks.

One collided with the ship, and Red felt the impact nearby.

We're getting close.

With the control panel, he readied the ship's guns, narrowing his eyes for focus.

There's a big one- left-

Turning the guns, he shot at the approaching rock, knocking it off course enough to clear the Skeld's path.

Right-

He turned the guns again, shooting the chunk of ice off course.

Straight ahead-

Again.

Right-

Again.

Right. Left. Left. Right. Straight. Left. Right. Right. Left.

He heard a sound below him, and he glanced over to see Pink.

Left. Straight. Left. Right.

"You good there?"

"I think so," Red said, only half-listening.

"I... think Maroon is having trouble with the navigation."

Red came back into focus for a second, realizing that Pink was right. They were experiencing quite a bit of turbulence, and Maroon must be having trouble.

However, in that second when Red took his eyes off the lit-up diagram, they felt a rather large impact.

And it sounded like it broke something.

... Oh no.

Purple and White ran into Weapons, and Pink looked from them, to Red, and back again.

Red nodded at her, silently telling her to take charge of the situation.

He went right back to defending the ship, the ensuing conversation blurring into the background of his awareness.