Chapter 27: What's The Plan?

~~~~~

Location: SSOUI Headquarters

"Is it ready?"

"Almost, Commander. A few more tries should do it."

Maelstrom narrowed his eyes, his impatience growing.

Once the assistant left the room, he was left to his own thoughts.

In his mind, he pondered the reliability of the master plan. Would it work?

Or would it fall short, and risk everything in the process?

He sighed, for he did not yet know the answer.

Then, his phone rang.

The caller ID was Green.

Lexacon.

Maelstrom picked up the phone.

"Helloooo!"

"Good evening, Lexacon," Maelstrom rolled his eyes at Lexacon's informality.

"Well, everyone's dead, poof, gone, assignment done! We're about to head back to HQ."

Oh.

Oh no.

I'm not ready for them to come back yet.

"Ah, wonderful," he said, keeping his voice calm as he frantically searched for the schedule of assignments in his desk.

He would have to reschedule a few people, but, in the end, they didn't have much of a say anyway.

"Actually," he continued, selecting an assignment that would surely keep them occupied until he was prepared. "I have another assignment for you, and you'll have to leave right away."

"Wait, what? Isn't the usual procedure to-"

"I make the procedures, you fool. Another Mira HQ ship is leaving in an hour," Maelstrom said, shuffling around registry information to straighten out the new change.

"There are nine other crewmates on the ship, and they all need to be dead within a week. Good evening, and good luck."

"I... I'm confused, wh-"

Maelstrom hung up.

The other imposter that was supposed to be on this assignment was rather skilled, but he knew that Lexacon was skilled in his own right and could pull through.

He can handle it. Probably.

Well, if he can't, that's not much of a loss, now is it? He thought to himself, smiling.

Worst case scenario, I just have to find someone else to take his place.

With that taken care of, Maelstrom eagerly awaited the daily update from Whirlpool.

After all, Whirlpool was always quite entertaining when giving updates.

~~~~~

Location: the Space Center

Green

Green lowered the phone from his ear as he realized that Maelstrom hung up.

That man is certainly acting fishy.

Blue looked at him strangely. "Did something happen?"

He nodded slowly. "Yes... I'm not sure what, though. Maelstrom just- just gave us a new, seemingly random assignment. Usually, we'd be given a short period of time where we get a break, but... not now, apparently."