Chapter 48: Wow. Rude.

~~~~~

"But something has stirred - a beast has awakened, opened a door, there's no mistaking. Waging a war, it's fighting inside of me."

- "Battle Cry," by Beth Crowley

~~~~~

Black

She was watching as Pink paced back and forth in front of her.

Black had been sitting on a chair in the women's locker room with Talon on her lap to get away from the commotion and the noise, and Pink had only come in a few minutes prior.

She was muttering to herself, and Black was getting more and more concerned for her friend.

Talon was evidently getting more anxious as well, likely due to him sensing Pink's tension.

Finally, Black couldn't take it anymore. She stood up and tapped Pink on the shoulder, giving her a questioning look.

Pink sighed at her expression and brushed her aside as she kept pacing; however, she did start to talk.

"Wouldn't a liar as experienced as Green make a more plausible story?" she questioned. "Or is he mind-gaming me?"

Black blinked at this, not sure how to react.

Pink groaned. "I of all people should be able to figure this out, right? Symbiotes don't exist. That's just a fact. People turning into monsters only occurs in fiction."

She dragged her hands down her face, exasperated.

Black picked up her tablet, articulating her thoughts:

What if Green is telling the truth then?

"If he is, there's some wild s**t going on. Symbiotes that turn people into monsters are just... they seem implausible, don't they? Green has pulled crazy explanations and lies before and gotten away with it, so why would this one be different?"

Pink stopped herself, frowning. "He hasn't changed, so no, this wouldn't be any different."

Black tapped her fingers on her thigh, thinking.

Should I go talk to him?

Pink gave her a look. "I mean... sure, if you want."

Black picked up Talon and left the women's locker room, heading towards the men's showers, where Green was.

White was by the door, and he waved at Black as she approached.

"Here to talk to Green?"

Black nodded, trying to calm her rising nerves.

White tilted his head at her. "If you don't mind me asking... why?"

She pondered this for a moment.

I want to try and get more information out of him. Pink and Red already tried, I know, but I want to have a go.

White accepted this answer with a nod, and stepped aside to let Black inside.

"Wait," he stopped Black. "Are you sure taking Talon in with you is a good idea?"

What is he going to do, exactly?

"... probably not a lot, but still, you need to be safe."

I think we'll be fine. If there's any problems, I'll send him out.

White hesitantly let her into the men's showers, giving her a warning look before closing the door behind her.

Black kept Talon in her arms as she approached the last shower stall, and she heard a deep sigh from that corner of the room.