Chapter 16: He Knows.

He sat at his desk, awaiting the weekly report from his sources.

When the phone rang, he eagerly picked up.

"Commander Maelstrom, sir, we have a problem."

"What sort of problem?"

"... well, you see, three astronauts came to the FBI today."

"If they're survivors, just tell them the usual."

"No, sir, this is different - they know there are other imposters."

Maelstrom's eyes widened. "How do they know, exactly?"

"They didn't tell us that! We have nothing to go on besides them telling us that there are more imposters out there, and that they are targeting the astronauts. So, either they caught the imposter and got information, or we have a spy."

Gears started turning in Maelstrom's brain.

"Do we have any identification on the three astronauts? We can trace their recent mission documents."

"Deeper information is on its way, sir, but here's the basic information: one is an adult male with ginger hair and a bright red streak, and the other two are adult females - one with blonde hair, the other brunette, with pink and purple streaks."

"Thank you, I'll handle the situation from here."

Maelstrom hung up the phone, and then sighed.

This hasn't happened before - so why now??

Then, he got a notification from his email - the information on the three astronauts.

After running the information through his database, he came across their most recent mission.

His eyes widened.

How interesting.

He tapped his fingers on his desk, wondering how to address the... new complications.

They're both still here. I can execute them here and now.

... But that's no fun.

I mean, everyone has to slip up sometime, right?

A smile spread across his face.

This will be the most interesting thing I've seen in years.

And, as for the three astronauts, I think I know exactly what to do.

Just then, the perfect candidate for his plan walked in the door.

"I'm here for my weekly report, Commander."

"Ah, Whirlpool. It's good to see my favorite child. And, oh, would you look at that? I have an assignment just for you."

~~~~~

Blue

"You should add Whirlpool on your list of people to avoid - Whirl is Maelstrom's favorite child. Very dangerous - one of the imposters who kills for fun. Would slice off your face if you got too annoying."

"Well, isn't that simply delightful."

Green laughed humorlessly. "About as delightful as being tossed into an aquarium with hungry piranhas."

A knock sounded on the door.

"Aaand we've been summoned," Green muttered.

When they made it to Maelstrom's office, Green put on his serious exterior. "Yes, sir? What is the problem?"