Chapter 1: Uh... Hi.

"The ship is now fully loaded and boarded. Prepare for takeoff."

Everyone looked up as the announcement boomed over the intercom, and Blue smiled to herself. This is finally happening. 

Her little brother held onto her for the duration of the takeoff, but eventually let go when he spotted another little one on the ship - Red's.

Since it was now safe to stand up and walk around, Blue let him go to little Red. Good thing he won't be the only little one.

Red had exited the room already, and so had most of the others. Blue looked at the empty doorway, then at the two children, who were already starting to talk.

You know what? They'll be just fine by themselves. Talon knows not to mess with anything.

Part of her wished that she could make friends that easily, but everything else reminded her that wasn't exactly a good thing.

Blue exited the room, leaving the two little ones by themselves. The others were all gathering in the cafeteria for some reason, so she decided to follow suit.

They were introducing themselves around the center table, from what she could observe. 

Everyone else turned to look at her as she joined the circle, sitting in the last chair available.

On her right was Green, and on her left was Cyan. 

"Sorry," Blue said in a low voice, trying to sound friendly. "I was making sure the two little ones were situated."

Red, almost directly across the table from her, nodded. "You're fine. As I was saying, you all have assigned bedrooms where you can sleep and keep your personal items, and you will each be sharing with one other person. Each day, we will all have designated tasks to do to keep the ship running efficiently, and you will each have tablets where you will see your to-do lists, as well as any announcements that may come up. Understood?"

Easy enough.

Except the roommate part… not fond of that. 

… But I guess it depends on the person.

Red dismissed us, and while everyone else started talking to each other, Blue found an open opportunity and quietly left during the noise. She headed down the hallway, looking for her assigned room.

Wait, why exactly did I sign up for this? 

Oh. Oh, right. 

Just… establish connections with people. That should be easy, right?

Blue found her room, and then realized that someone was already inside it. Black was sitting on her bed, and looked up as Blue came in.

… right? 

Black's helmet was off, sitting on the bed next to her, and the first thing Blue noticed were her calm, amber brown eyes and short brown hair.

Well, all my training has prepared me for this moment.

"Uh… hi."

No answer. Black put her head down over her tablet, seemingly writing something.

"I understand if you don't like talking - I don't either - but I just need to know that we've both acknowledged each other's existence so I can go on with my life."

Again, no answer, until Black turned the tablet around with a smile, and Blue saw what she wrote:

Hi! Sorry, I'm mute. :)