Chapter 49: Not Again.

~~~~~

"I don't want them to know the secrets. I don't want them to know the way I loved you. I don't think they'd understand it, no. I don't think they'd accept me, no. I loved, and I loved, and I lost you.

"And it hurts like h**l."

-"Hurts Like H**l," by Fleurie

~~~~~

Black

She stared at Green, not quite processing what he said.

"Because... if Blue was here right now, SHE would care."

... Implying that he cares about Blue in turn.

Her mind started whirling. Blue wouldn't care about a killer... would she?

... Unless-

Her brain danced around the other possibility for a moment, but she forced herself to confront it: if she cares about a killer... wouldn't that suggest that she too became one?

That would support Pink's theory that Blue's not dead.

Black stopped staring off into space and snapped herself back to reality, where Green was looking up at her from his position on the floor of the shower and Talon was patting her shoulder, gazing at her anxiously.

Black looked at Green in horror of this new discovery, and then wrote a response:

Are you two... friends?

Green thought about this for a moment, and then replied, "yes. She cared about me - she said it herself. I never expected that from her, but she said it."

She was stunned. Blue said that?

Are we... even talking about the same person??

Next, Black decided to go with the question her mind was screaming about: how did you two even become friends?

"... long story. But essentially, I was all like "hey, Blue, you're one of us now," and for a while she complained - justifiably so - but after some time, she was like "okay, fine, I have nobody else anymore, so I guess I'm stuck with you," and we had to kill people for assignments, so that was a bit of a... bonding experience... that sounds wrong."

If what-the-actual-F**K glares could kill, Green would have lost his life privileges right then and there.

Black stared at Green, utterly horrified that Blue would kill people, much less agree to chill with and befriend the one who brought her into the mess in the first place.

Green winced at her expression. "Okay, I hear myself... now that I think about it, that all sounds really wrong, doesn't it?"

Black's expression turned into confusion. And why would you care?

He breathed out a deep sigh at her suspicious glare. "If you get nothing else from this conversation... know that I never truly enjoyed killing other people, and I only did it to stay alive. I was born into this mess, Black - it was never my choice."

Black, not sure how to process that information yet, scribbled another message.

So, what happened to Blue?

Green took a deep breath. "Well. I have a stepfather who likes to make my life miserable, and when Blue and I left you guys alive, he found out, and so he captured both of us and injected Blue with a symbiote of some sort. She... I don't know what she is anymore, but I know she's not Blue - she's some monster-creature-thing. I managed to escape before she ate me alive, but now none of you believe my story, so I might have escaped for nothing."