Chapter 25: Broken Glass

Location: the Skeld, on the way to the planet Polus

Red

Maroon had taken him aside to investigate something. They headed left, towards the engines, but went down towards Reactor and Security.

They entered Security, and Maroon gestured to the cameras.

Red's eyes widened, and he felt himself shiver.

The security camera system was broken.

The screens were smashed in, and there was broken glass everywhere.

Maroon made her way across the floor, tiptoeing around the mess.

The boots of the spacesuits hadn't exactly been tested for walking on broken glass, so Maroon was being cautious.

"The imposter must have done this," Red whispered, still in disbelief. "They don't want to risk anyone being on the cameras."

Maroon picked up a broken security camera from the table, which looked like it had been taken from another part of the ship.

Whoever this is, they went to great lengths to dismantle the security system.

But if it's dismantled, they can't use it either, so why would they break the cameras?

Wait a minute.

"Have you checked Admin?" he asked Maroon.

"No, I haven't, why-" her eyes flashed with realization. "Oh no."

After running to Admin, they discovered that the admin table was also smashed in.

Maroon and Red looked at each other.

"They're taking all the possible precautions," Maroon said, rubbing her forehead.

"Well, we know they're smart," Red muttered.

"We won't be able to fix this until we get home," she sighed. "None of us are technicians, as far as I know."

Red shook his head. "Well, this is great. Just great."

Wait, maybe Miss Sherlock might know something.

Red returned to MedBay, and fortunately, Pink was awake.

"What do you need, Red?" she muttered tiredly, sipping a coffee that Purple was trying to take away from her. "You have that face that looks like you wanna ask me something."

Grouchy, but awake.

"I need you to see something and tell me what you can deduce from it. You're the Sherlock-detective-person around here, right?"

Pink shifted slightly at the mention of "Sherlock-detective-person."

... Was that a flinch, or did I imagine that?

Before he could ask anything, Pink nodded. "Right, right - show me what's going on."

"We're coming too," Purple said, grabbing Black's arm and dragging her away from her food as Red and Pink started walking out of MedBay.

Black reached for her food, wanting to keep on eating, but sighed and gave in to Purple once they left MedBay.

Once they rounded the corner into Security, Purple gasped loudly at the sight of the shattered glass.

"Please keep your noise to yourself, Purple," Pink said tiredly. "I'm trying to think."

Purple gave her best friend a slightly offended look, but Pink ignored her and proceeded to step into the room.