Chapter 38: No Remorse

(A/N: uhhhh... Something something blood, something something violence, something something dark scene, something something trigger warning. Am I doing this right?-

But seriously - this chapter contains much blood and pretty dark scenes, so if you're sensitive to that, proceed with caution.)

~~~~~

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath, when you pry it from my cold, dead chest!"

- "The Resistance," by Skillet

~~~~~

Location: Polus

Talon

He was playing in the snow with Wren, making another one of those snowmen that Lime had taught them how to make.

When they finished the snowman, Wren smiled at Talon, and Talon smiled shyly back at his friend.

Wren turned to make another one, and that was when Talon heard a small, faint sound.

Tink.

What is that? He wondered.

His sister had always told him that he should get help before investigating something - he missed her dearly, but her instructions were still ingrained deep in his brain.

Another sound, similar to the first - tink.

The small child looked around, searching for the source of the noise. As he looked back at Storage, he heard another tink - and it seemed to come from inside.

Strangely, the doors were closed. They weren't closed before.

Cautiously, Talon walked towards Storage, and he heard Wren's footsteps following him.

"Where you going? We have to finish the snowman!" Wren said, pulling at Talon's arm.

Talon shook his head, gesturing towards Storage as another tink came from inside. Wren's eyes widened.

As they got closer, Talon could hear a very faint voice he didn't recognize.

"Please... please help..."

Talon backed away from the door, his eyes widening out of his sockets.

Who's that?

I have to find Black and Lime! He thought, frantically running back to their snowman to see if he could see them.

They weren't there.

Are they in Storage? Why are the doors shut??

Talon was extremely confused, but he knew that something definitely wasn't right.

I can't go without help, he reminded himself, knowing that's what Estelle would say.

Talon looked at Wren for a long moment, and then finally got the courage to whisper, "... where's your dad? We- we need help."

Despite being surprised that Talon actually spoke, Wren nodded nervously and started running towards MedBay.

The two kids ran as fast as they could to Wren's dad, whom Talon found a little scary - but he could definitely help.

Well, if he was awake.

Thankfully, the man in the red spacesuit was sitting up in his bed with a sad expression.

The two of them ran up to him, and they quickly got his attention.

"Wren? Talon? What's wrong?" he asked, leaning down to their level.