Chapter 34: Wrong Place At The Wrong Time

Location: SSOUI HQ

Maelstrom had his feet kicked up on his desk, waiting for Whirlpool's report - the highlight of his day.

A knock sounded from his door, and he said, "come in."

To his annoyance, it was Winston - and his broken nose reminded Maelstrom of when Blue had punched him.

"Oh, don't worry, she's VERY agreeable. She'll do whatever I say."

Green, you liar. I should have gotten rid of you a long time ago, but alas, here we are.

At the very moment Green said that, Blue had punched Winston, and Maelstrom knew there was something very wrong.

Blue definitely doesn't follow orders, and it seems that Green is protecting her.

Winston's voice brought Maelstrom out of his thoughts, "everything's ready, Commander."

"Excellent. Now, we just wait for them to return."

His phone rang, and Maelstrom waved his hand to dismiss Winston as he picked up the phone.

"Ah, Whirlpool. What news do you have?"

"Well, for starters, we made it to Polus."

"Good," Maelstrom nodded. "Are you alone?"

"Yes - they leave the ship unattended, so I'm using the Skeld's communications system to talk to you."

"All right. Go on."

A laugh sounded on the other end. "Well, just a few minutes ago, I pushed someone into lava - Red tried to save him, but alas... he failed. I don't think they'll stop mooning over that one for a while yet."

"Delightful," Maelstrom said, smiling. "Have you gotten any of the four targets yet?"

"... no. But I do have a plan to get a few of them very soon, Dad. Don't you worry about it."

"You haven't failed me yet, Whirlpool - I have no concern over whether or not you'll be able to complete the assignment. But this one is the most important assignments I've given you, so don't mess up on me now."

"I won't, I promise. How are things going on the home front?"

"Very well. Blue and Green are still away, so we're just waiting for them to get back."

There was a sigh. "I'm really disappointed that I won't be there for that."

Maelstrom sighed as well. "I know, my little nebula."

"... Please don't call me that."

"I like the nickname, so too bad," Maelstrom smiled. "Just get home safely, okay? Oh, make sure to have some fun with your targets - I know that'll make you feel better."

"Oh, trust me, I AM having fun. I have to go now, I'll talk to you later."

~~~~~

A/N: it has come to my attention that a few people mixed up Winston and Whirlpool, so... I tried to make that distinction in that scene.

I don't know why that happened (probably because both their names start with "W"), but I will clarify - Whirlpool and Winston are NOT the same person. Winston is basically irrelevant to the story, except for that one scene when Blue punched him; whereas Whirlpool is most DEFINITELY relevant to the story and is also a character to be feared.

Just wanted to clear that up! :)

~~~~~

Location: Polus