Chapter 37: It Can't End Like This.

~~~~~

"The last thing I heard was you whispering goodbye... and then I heard you flatline."

- "Not Gonna Die," by Skillet

~~~~~

Location: Polus

Black

The doors had slammed shut, and Black's eyes widened as she saw Silver - Whirlpool - locking them inside.

Her stomach flip-flopped, and she started to shake in fear, backing up to the opposite wall. She almost stumbled into a hole in the ground, which she promptly stepped away from.

Lime was also getting the feeling that Whirlpool had purposefully trapped them in there. He was backing away from her, trying to put himself in front of Black.

Black's heart started to race as Whirlpool turned around with a smile on her face and a knife in her hand.

"You know, I wanted to get rid of you at the beginning, Lorelei," she mused, "and I did try - but you turned out to be more useful than I anticipated."

Black realized that she had dropped her tablet somewhere on the other side of the room, and Whirlpool also noticed this.

Seeing Black's tablet on the ground, she promptly stomped on it, breaking the device beyond repair. "You won't be needing that anymore, trust me."

This- this can't be happening.

It can't end like this.

Black stared at the floor, hoping, praying that one of the others was nearby to help them.

As if reading her mind, Whirlpool went on. "The others aren't anywhere near here - you and Lime are all alone. Purple is with Red in MedBay, White and Peach are in Oxygen, Smalt is in Office, Maroon is nowhere to be found, and Pink is in Specimen doing her own thing... none of them are here to help you two, and I know for a fact that I can easily kill you both."

Lime narrowed his eyes at Whirlpool. "So you were the one who killed Lavender."

"Oh, yes. It was quite fun to watch, if you ask me."

After hearing that, a lime blur flew at Whirlpool, who calmly stepped aside and let him fall to the ground behind her.

LIME, NO-

Black desperately reached for Lime, her mouth opening in a silent scream as she anticipated what was about to happen.

NO!

Whirlpool picked Lime up by the neck, seemingly debating something.

Then, with horrifying expertise, Lime was slashed completely across the torso, and she dropped him, letting him crumple to the ground.

"Lime, NO-" Black cried out, but then doubled over, coughing.

Her vocal chords felt like they were burning up from the lack of use over the years, and she clutched her throat in pain, blinking back tears.

But that pain was irrelevant - Lime was dying on the floor. Once she felt like she could move again, she quickly moved towards him.

Whirlpool had stepped aside to the shadows, watching them during Lime's final moments - not that Black cared.

Black was in tears, crawling towards the person who - even temporarily - made life a bit easier to live.

Nonononononono-