Chapter 46: Black and White

A/N: Brace yourself.

DISCLAIMER: POTENTIALLY DISTURBING CONTENT.

Also, this is a VERY long chapter. Do not read yet if you have somewhere to be, or something urgent to do.

Now, without further ado, here is the Part II finale.

~~~~~

"I've been around these vicious lies too - too long to be neglecting the truth. I'm getting closer, and I'm fully armed. I'm about to hunt you down through that big black hole right behind you, and I'm about to cut your wings away.

"Cause I've been finding out where you've broken in, and I will take you out when I close you in."

- "Murder", by Within Temptation

~~~~~

Location: the space center

Green

After landing at the space center and getting out of their spacesuits, Green and Blue were heading back to SSOUI.

The SSOUI taxi had picked them up from the space center, and the ride had been silent so far.

Green simply had nothing more to say to Blue than what had already been said.

Deep down, he felt a sense of impending doom. The last time Maelstrom had contacted them, he had been acting strangely, and Green knew that it was almost time to find out why.

It's not anything good.

His head hurt. Other than the fact that Green was the unwanted, inferior child in his broken family, he didn't believe that Maelstrom had reason to hurt him.

He had done his assignments almost perfectly. He had even brought Blue back with him, which turned out to be one of his better decisions.

Over the years, Green had learned how to stay on Maelstrom's better side and stay out of trouble, and he hadn't been in trouble for quite some time - so what had changed?

He looked over at Blue, who looked like she wanted to say something, but was keeping it to herself.

Green put a hand on her shoulder and whispered, "if something bad happens, remember what we talked about, all right?"

She silently nodded, looking him in the eye with an unreadable expression.

Is everyone keeping secrets from me now?

He decided not to take it personally - Blue was Blue, after all.

When the car finally pulled up to SSOUI HQ, Green got out first, and waited for Blue to join him before walking in the front doors.

Okay, maybe I'm just overreacting. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.

Maybe I'm really just an idiot.

Maybe we're fine.

Maybe Maelstrom just wants to review my strange, dramatic techniques.

Maybe it's his birthday and he just wants a present.

Maybe Whirl did something stupid and blamed me for it.

That hasn't happened in a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if that girl never matured.

Green was lost in his speculations as they were escorted up the staircase to Maelstrom's office.