Chapter 36: Prove It.

Location: Mira HQ

Green

Green had seen some serious s**t in his imposter career, but nothing was as messed up as seeing Lapis Lazuli literally throw Onyx - an innocent crewmate - off the balcony to his death with absolutely no remorse, especially when Lapis had seemed so calm and rational before.

After that, Green had looked at Blue with new eyes.

He never expected her to pull something like that. Frankly, it made him a bit wary of her.

But when Blue was acting genuinely terrified of Lapis, he realized that she didn't mean for that to happen.

Currently, Blue was doing a task in Reactor, and Green was standing to the side, watching for anyone else as they talked.

"I don't know why I did that kill," Blue muttered.

"Why do you regret it? Because of Lapis?"

"... yeah. I saw him through the vent before killing Onyx, and he... I- I don't know, I think I just made everything worse," Blue sighed. "Everyone else is terrified of Lapis - you saw them, right? It just... it seems cruel to make everyone suffer a lot more than they have to. They're practically paralyzed with fear, you know?"

Green nodded grimly. "I get what you mean."

Blue finished up starting the reactor and turned to him, her brown eyes filled with concern. "Also... what's gonna happen when we get back to SSOUI?"

"I..." Green was at a loss for words, because he too had been pondering that topic ever since Maelstrom had hung up on him. "I honestly don't know."

Suddenly, the doors of Decontamination opened.

Scarlet walked out, breathing heavily. "La... Lapis wants to talk to you two. He's in Admin."

"Really? Why?" Green asked.

Scarlet shrugged. "Don't know - honestly, I don't know why he does anything he does anymore."

Blue sighed. "Well, let's get this over with, shall we?"

Green and Blue followed Scarlet back to the main part of HQ, and Scarlet left them outside Admin.

"Careful, he's been kinda... temperamental ever since that meeting," Scarlet said in a low voice, right before leaving the scene.

Cautiously, Green and Blue walked into Admin. Lapis was on the other side of the admin table, watching everyone's positions and movement around Mira HQ.

Being on the other side of the table from Lapis gave Green flashbacks of being in Maelstrom's office, and he felt rooted to the spot for a minute before shaking off the image of Maelstrom glaring down at him.

This is Lapis, not Maelstrom, he reminded himself.

"Green, Blue," Lapis greeted, tilting his head at both of them. His cold, serious persona had not changed.

"What did you want to talk about?" Green asked, maintaining eye contact with Lapis.

"Do you have any suspicion on anyone?"

The whole situation was rubbing Green the wrong way, but he knew that Blue was also likely feeling the same way, and he had more experience with these types of situations, so he had to take the reins.

"Well, not currently," Green said slowly. "But I thought Onyx was the killer?"

"Correct, but I want to see if there are any... accomplices of his on this ship."