Chapter 22: I Won't Give Up

"You ain't gonna take me down, no way.

Don't judge a thing till you know what's inside it.
Don't push me, I'll fight it.
Never gonna give in, never gonna give it up."

- "You Can't Take Me," by Bryan Adams

~~~~~

Location: the Skeld, heading to the planet Polus

Pink

Black was doing fine, although she was still unconscious, and Pink was staying in MedBay to keep watch on the others through the night.

Purple was sleeping on one of the other beds, and she and Pink had agreed to take shifts. Talon and Wren were also on one of the other beds.

None of them were to leave MedBay alone. Pink was in a chair next to Black's bed, making sure to keep an eye on the vent as well as the door.

She had taped the vent shut and overturned a bed over the opening, but one could never be too careful.

Red was currently unresponsive - although he was completely conscious.

He just kept staring at a certain spot on the wall, and Pink had told him to control his breathing.

He did that, but then became unresponsive.

Pink was at a loss of what to do.

From what I remember during our missions together, he's never had anything like this… whatever happened must have been truly terrifying.

She didn't know what could be causing this sort of petrified state. If he encountered the imposter, wouldn't he or Black be dead?

What was even more puzzling was Black being knocked unconscious.

Was that really necessary?

Unless… a few pieces started to drift together, and the ship melted away from her vision as Pink became immersed in her thoughts.

The imposter wanted to talk to Red, and Red only. That's why Black is unconscious.

But why Red? Why talk at all? Why not kill him instead?

Is the imposter… playing with us? 

She frowned.

That WOULD make sense. 

That would explain why they wanted to talk to Red - so that they demoralize the center of our little team and cause a chain reaction, causing us to fall apart from the inside out and making us easier targets.

And that would indicate that this imposter likes to emotionally break down their targets. If that's true, then the imposter is either highly skilled or extremely cocky.

But I can rule out the cocky option, because Red's theory about us being targeted makes a lot of sense and has more evidence now. 

And no sensible person would assign a cocky, novice imposter after four potential witnesses.

Pink tapped her fingers on her arm. I need my supplies. This is too much information to reliably store in my head.

… Did I pack them, or did I leave them behind on Earth?

But then she remembered - what will the others think when they see I have such supplies?

I'll have to do that while they're sleeping.