Chapter 3: Defending The Liar

As soon as Blue's memory cleared up, another emergency meeting was called.

Blue looked to her left, and saw Cyan's empty seat. She felt a pang of remorse, but not much else.

Isn't this calmness normal? Well, not according to Green.

... But is he really a valid source?

Blue looked around and saw Black a few seats away from her - she looked terrified.

Is that the normal response?

Black seems like a rational human being, so probably.

Red stood up from his seat.

"By now, I think you all know what's going on - Cyan was murdered last night, and Blue and Green both have to tell their stories.

"Remember: everyone is a suspect until proven innocent. That's how this will work. Understood?"

During Red's monologue, Talon ran up to Blue, reaching his little arms out to her. She scooped him up, holding him close.

Poor little guy, he must have been so worried about me.

His warm, comforting presence reminded her of what was at stake.

Defend Green, or he'll take Talon down with him.

When she came back to reality, Red asked her, "so, Blue - what happened last night?"

It was on the tip of her tongue.

Green killed Cyan.

Green killed Cyan.

GREEN KILLED CY-

"I went out of my room to get water in the middle of the night, and the ship was completely dark," Blue started off, feeling Green's eyes on her. "I remember running into several boxes in storage on my way to the cafeteria, and I grabbed a bottled water from the supply. I took off my helmet to drink it, and that's when I was attacked. I don't remember much of the fight, and the next thing I know, I'm in MedBay."

"Question," Pink piped up, her pretty flower catching Blue's eye.

"Go ahead." Red nodded.

"I know we're all thinking this - why isn't Blue dead right now? Why didn't the killer silence their witness?"

"That's where I come in," Green jumped in. "I also came out to get water, and in the dark, I heard a fight going on in the cafeteria. I called out, with no response - but that's when I heard someone get thrown on the floor and footsteps run into what I assume is a vent," he said, accompanying his story with gestures, showing the audience how the hypothetical scene played out. "And then, I hit the emergency button."

Everyone stared at the vent in the cafeteria floor.

"That's the one," Green confirmed. "I didn't want to go after them because I could have gotten hurt or killed myself."

... You're such an effing liar-

"Soo," Pink said cautiously, "what you two are saying is that nobody saw who the killer was?"

Blue and Green simultaneously shook their heads.

Ah, Pink. So suspicious. So skeptical. So... smart.

With Green being who he is, I think that means you're next up on the chopping block.

... Why don't I feel more bad about that?

Maybe because my brother's life is on the line if it doesn't happen, Blue reminded herself.

Red sighed. "So, we've got nothing to go with."