Chapter 24: Ensuing Chaos

Location: the Skeld, heading to the planet Polus

Black

Her eyes flew open.

She felt a small body clinging to her side, and she looked to see Talon there, sleeping.

Blinking, she tried to dispel her headache, but had no success.

"Oh, good!" Purple's voice said, coming from next to Black. "Good, she's awake. Black, you feeling okay?"

… no.

Wha… what happened?

She remembered the darkness... did that come before or after she was hit on the head?

She shook her head to answer Purple's question, and she sat up in the bed.

That action caused her headache to intensify, however, so she laid back down.

Talon woke up, and he immediately gave her a hug, which Black gladly returned.

My little buddy - I'm glad he's okay.

Then she remembered Red, so she looked around the room to see Red at the doors, talking to Maroon.

Purple followed Black's gaze, and then quietly said, "I would say that she's just checking up on us… but, judging from Red's tension, that isn't the case."

Black tilted her head at Purple. When did she become more confident? 

Last time I heard, she was rather reserved, like me… what changed?

After observing Red's stance for a moment, Black couldn't decipher what Purple was seeing, or what she meant by "Red's tension".

Maybe this is why she and Pink are so close.

Black sat up, and picked up her tablet from the small bedside table. What happened to me and Red?

"Well… according to Red, the imposter knocked you out and whispered ominous threats in his ear for some reason."

… why am I not dead?

"That's what we're trying to figure out."

Red turned back to Purple for a second. "Okay, Maroon and I need to investigate something. I'll be back soon."

Purple nodded, and with that, Red and Maroon left, leaving silence in their wake.

Purple sighed and looked at Pink, who was fast asleep. "I should find something to make her sleep more often."

Sleeping pills?

"No, that'd be too obvious. I need something else to slip in her food."

But, if she's sleeping all the time, she won't be able to help us find the imposter.

"Well, if she's working all the time, she won't be able to think as well, now will she?"

Okay, good point.

Purple turned to the cupboards of medicine that lined the furthest wall, near the scanner. "Maybe I'll find something in here - you stick around, okay?"

Black nodded, and that was when the MedBay door opened, revealing two new faces.

Two other crewmates by the names of Smalt and Lime.

"Hello," Smalt said in a friendly voice. "Um, how are you all doing? I heard some things, but not everything."

Purple walked back to the doors from the medicine cupboards and managed to gently dispel their visitors.