Safe | Chpt 37

Hello there

Enjoy~

(y/n)'s POV

I shivered, pulling the covers up over my shoulders. The gentle motion and pressure smoothing out my hair stopped as I moved and I realized that someone was most certainly in my room. I looked up quickly, seeing it was only my father. Mic and I had spent a half an hour with him for dinner before he continued trying to clean up the kidnapping mess. I had given him a nod goodnight while he was in a phone call.

"Sorry, I was trying hard not to wake you up," he said quietly. I sat up, flicking on my bedside lamp. My eyes narrowed at the harsh light, peering towards my dad. He was sat by my side, apparently interrupted from watching me sleep.

"What's going on? Did something happen?" I asked.

"No, nothing," he said. "Sorry, I don't mean to come off strange, I just wanted to talk to you before you went to sleep but obviously I took to long."

"Bout what?"

"Well I talked with Bakugo's parents today and I had to make a couple other calls with parents about their children's safety at this school..." he said, dragging a hand down his face. "Do you...feel safe here?"

"Of course I do," I replied. "You're here and I feel safe when you're around. They can't blame you for this."

"I know," he said. I noticed now that there wasn't much light coming in from the window because it was raining and highly cloudy. "So...you do feel safe with me then."

"Yeah."

"Even after the camp incident?" he asked. I had never seen my father this forward about his insecurities before. Sure he definitely shared a lot more now compared to when I was a kid, but this was way too direct for his usual stature. He liked to beat around the bush when things really bothered him, otherwise he was blunt. There didn't seem to remain any middle ground.

"It's fine, I told you."

"You've said it, but I'm waiting for you to lash out at me," he said. "I left you in the middle of an almost battlefield to fend for yourself."

"Lash out?"

"I'm not a good dad," he stated plainly. "I make a lot of mistakes, and when that happens, you always keep me in check. You get angry."

"First of all, you're a good dad. Just because you make mistakes, doesn't mean you're a bad dad. Second of all, is that really how you see me?" I asked. "I understand the circumstances, it's not like the world revolves around me. Leaving me alone wasn't the best decision but it's fine now. I'm not...I'm not just going to get angry every time someone doesn't think about me first."

"But I'm your father, I'm supposed to think about you first."

"Yeah, when we're out of school maybe. You have an entire class to look after, in that case 2 classes. Sure I was scared because you left me alone, but I know you would never leave me again. Clearly, by how you've reacted to it. But you'd never really leave, and that's why I feel safe with you," I ranted. The rain pelted against the side of the building and my father let out a breath, holding out his arms for a hug.

"Could I get a hug?" I just nodded and hugged him, letting his breath settle out flat. "I'm glad you turned out to be such a good kid. I'm...I'm going to keep you out of trouble from now on. You're staying safe, like my life depends on it."

My mind was drawn to how I had broken up, kind of, with Sero just earlier today. I knew Mic had told me to talk to Kaminari and my father, but it seemed the more and more he talked, the further and further I landed from ever getting what I wanted. This was what I wanted though, not needed, so why was I banking on it so hard. My father let go, kissing my forehead with a soft brush of my hair.