Mitochondria | Chpt 19

(y/n)'s POV

"Huh, never been in here before," Kaminari said and I glanced up from the library table. Though it was still technically his first weeks ever at UA and most students didn't make it to the library until later, I had a feeling he didn't really go to the library at all. He started to pull out the chair across from me before pushing his stuff diagonally along the table. He walked around to sit next to me, opening up his textbook.

"You've never been to the library?"

"Are you really surprised?"

"Whatever, what did you need help with?" I asled.

"Well you're in the medical course, so you're good at science right?"

"Yes."

"I've got a general science course and I genuinely cannot do this stuff," he said, pushing his textbook in between us. He scooted his chair so that his arm rested against mine and I pressed my lips together tightly to keep from smiling.

"What are you learning now?"

"Uh...cells."

"Why are you struggling?"

"Well frankly I don't understand how I'm supposed to remember all the different functions of this stuff. All I can remember is mitochondria. Powerhouse of the cell," he said. I smirked slightly before pulling up a diagram on my laptop.

"Well here, this will let you color the diagram how you want to. That will help you remember and I'll quiz you on them. As long as you try to memorize, it will come to you."

"You sure? With this fried brain?" He said, laughing painfully. I looked at him with great disdain.

"You don't do good because you think you'll do bad. There's nothing wrong with struggling Kami, you just have to keep a more positive outlook. If you think you're going to fail then you will. Skill comes later," I said. He looked upon me for a moment, before smiling ever so slightly and nodding in agreement. He began working on the virtual diagram and I pulled out an English workbook.

I started writing out irregularities for today's homework. I sat for a while in silence, Kaminari leaning slightly against me. I tried writing down a few, finding that I was struggling. I had the basics down, but when it came to style or writing and finesse I was at a loss. I couldn't write an eloquent paper to save my life.

"Oh my fucking god, what is the difference between tear and tear. Why do they sound different??" I glanced up from my book at Kaminari who was smirking.

"Okay just because you get English doesn't mean you can smirk at me like that. Fuck English," I sassed. "Explain to me how we drive on parkways and park on driveways. That makes no sense."

"English doesn't make sense."

"Well that's not fair! You don't see other countries required to learn Japanese. This is so fucking bogus," I huffed.

"I know."

"I mean, i before e except after c and sometimes—I don't even remember! It's all bullshit Kami," I scoffed.

"You're pretty."

"What?" I asked, turning back to him. He had mumbled the last part, but I was sure I had heard him say I was pretty. I felt my face flush red. He sat up abruptly from leaning against the table with his elbow.

"Nothing!" He turned back. "You can just quiz me now."

"Uh, okay what's the difference between plant and animal cells?"

"Plants are more square, have a cell wall, and chloroplasts? Animal is round and doesn't have those 2 things," he explained.

"Good job," I replied, moving on. "Vacuole?"