23 - separation

A/N: Twas still depressed.

Penelope POV

All of the women had gone to bed and I slipped out of headspace. I sat up looking out my window, the conversation with Beth did help calm me down but that's not what was on my mind right now.

I couldn't help but remember Bella bringing up how Beth is the one always cuddling with me. It's just Beth is snuggly and the closest thing I've had to a real mom in a long time. I feel bad for Mari and Bella though. Beth was the one who found me, so little me sees her as my savior.

I let out a quiet sigh before getting into bed. I think I need to separate myself from Beth some and spend more time with Mari and Bella, but that doesn't necessarily mean being little either.

All of the women convinced me to take the next two days of school off and Beth said she'd call in to work, but I told her not to because tomorrow was Bella's day off from work so I could just stay with her. Beth didn't like the idea, but Bella loved it. Mari doesn't work the day after next so I'll be hanging out with her that day.

I finally lie down in bed and try to get some sleep.

I wake up a few hours later and realize I'm not tired at all. I slowly make my way out of my bedroom and downstairs to the living room. I knew I was going to be avoiding Beth and focusing on Bella and Mari, but the recliner I always sat in with Beth looked so welcoming.

Deciding to ignore my pride, I grabbed a blanket and climbed into the chair. I had put on a movie, but I didn't really pay attention to it. I just twiddled with my blanket.

After awhile I started feeling groggy and didn't even notice falling asleep because the next thing I knew, Beth was rubbing my arm trying to wake me up.

"Come on baby, wakey wakey." Beth said in a tone that made me desperately want to slip, but I denied that part of my brain.

I opened my eyes and gave Beth a small smile. "Morning Beth."

Her brows furrowed at me using her name, but she shook it off. "You're not little?" She questioned and I shook my head no. She gave a hesitant nod before continuing. "What are you doing down here then baby?" She asked. She knew I wasn't little, but it's so natural for her to call me cutesy names, I didn't mind though because I could fight being little.

"I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back asleep. I figured I would come down here for awhile and watch tv. I must have fell asleep." I told her with a little shrug and I could tell she was still a little concerned.

"Sweetheart, you could have come and gotten in bed with us. We wouldn't have minded." She told me and I nodded giving her another small smile.

"I know. I just didn't know if I'd fall asleep right away so I came down here instead." I told her nonchalantly.

She looked at me quizzically, "Are you okay Penny?" She asked, the concern clear in her tone now.

I gave her a more realistic smile this time, "Yup." I said while popping the p.

She gave me another hesitant nod before reaching up from her crouching position to kiss my forehead. "Okay baby. Well I'm off to school. Bella is up and should be downstairs soon along with Mariana. Call me if you need me at all today." She told me and I gave her an affirmative nod and she walked out the door after that.

Mari was down the stairs next. She looked rushed and not quite put together. She quickly came over and kissed my forehead, "Bye baby, be good for Bella today!" She told me before running out the door. I didn't even get to say anything in return as she was already closing the door.