40 - bad vibes

Bethany POV

It's getting close to the last block of the day and I have been texting my wives to keep them informed.

*Wifey Group Chat*

Beth: Hey, some things happened at school today. Penny saw Donna here talking to that nosy teacher Madelyn. Apparently Madelyn had basically recruited Donna to come take Penny from us, but when she found out what the Issac's did to her she backed out. Penny said that Madelyn was angry and said she would handle it, so we need to let Officer Jones know as soon as we are home.

Bella: Are you serious? What the hell connection does Madelyn have to the Issac's? She literally knows what they did to her.

Ana (a/n: remember, this was her nn for her wives): I cannot stand that woman. She is not getting anywhere near Penny and no more letting Penny overshare with her. I know she was trying to give her a chance, but those days are over.

Bella: Agreed.

Beth: Definitely. Oh, I wanted to run something past you two. I should just wait until we're home, but I don't want Penny to hear us talk about it. I think we should adopt her. Legally she's still a minor sooooo.

Bella: Of course! I was wondering when that would be brought up. I think we should definitely make sure this is something we can do and then ask Penny if this is something she wants.

Ana: I agree with waiting to make sure we can do it, but since we are already legal guardians of her since I added you two on shortly after Analise passed, it shouldn't be an issue.

Beth: I don't think we have to worry about her not wanting to be adopted by us. She asked me this morning if I actually saw her as a real daughter, which I said of course. But she definitely has a sense of abandonment, so I think she will want it but may need time to process it.

Bella: I hate that she feels like that at times.

Ana: Me too, but she's strong. She'll get through it.

I put my phone away as the last block of the day ended. I went and helped Penny gather her stuff and we made our way out the door to the hallway. I locked the door behind us and we headed to the car.

I didn't want to worry Penny any more than she already was, so that's why I didn't say anything when I saw Madelyn's light was off. The weirdest part was making our way out to the parking lot I noticed Madelyn's car was still there but I hadn't seen her at all in the building. She's typically on Penny and I as soon as we leave the classroom and even in the classroom so this is all very weird.

I get into the car and Penny follows suit. She looks up to me and I just give her a small smile which causes her to frown. "Mommy?"

I furrowed my brow, "Baby, did you slip?" I asked curiously and started to feel guilty since my quietness probably didn't help.

She just nodded her head. I patted her thigh and started the car. "Okay baby. We'll be home in a few minutes." I stated as we drove away from the school in the distance.

We didn't say anything the entire car ride, but when we got home I went around and lifted Penny into my arms to carry her into the house. I set her on the ground once we made it in before locking the knob, deadbolt, and the chain.

"Mommy what's wrong?" Penny asked nervously.

I turned around to pick her back up while giving her a fake smile. "Nothing's wrong baby. Mommy was just locking the door." I told her while trying to be reassuring.

Mariana was sitting on the couch as she watched this whole interaction happen. She shot me worried glances but I just shook my head as I bounced Penny in my arms.

"Baby girl, why don't you go sit with mama while I go make a quick phone call?" I asked her and she nodded softly. I handed her off to Mariana who she cuddle against quickly before making my way upstairs to my office.

I sat down at my desk and rested my head in my hands. I was not prepared for this phone call.

*Phone Call*

Officer Susan Jones: "Officer Jones speaking."

Bethany: "Hi Susan, it's Bethany James. Uh, we've had a bit of an issue today."

Officer Susan Jones: "Hey Beth, what do you mean you've had an issue? Is everything ok?"

Bethany: "We're all okay, we're all safe. A couple of days ago, Penny's apparent long lost aunt Donna came to town demanding to take her back. Of course we didn't let her and Penny was very clear that she wouldn't go with Donna. Today at school, Penny went to the restroom and saw and heard Donna speaking to a co-worker of mine, Madelyn Geerling. This teacher has been super nosy ever since Penny got back. Apparently Donna didn't want to be apart of whatever Madelyn was doing because she had found out what the Issac's did to her and backed out. That made Madelyn mad and she said she'd do it herself. We're keeping a close eye on Penny, but we wanted to make you aware of the situation."

Officer Susan Jones: "Wow okay. I wrote down what you have said and I'll definitely look into it. Do you think Madelyn would still be at school for me to go have a chat with her?"

Bethany: "I don't know. The light to her classroom was off when we left but her car was still there. Typically she is always finding a reason to talk to me or Penny and today she was no where in sight."

Officer Susan Jones: "Good to know. I'll do some digging around this and if I find anything that may help you I'll let you know. Thank you for reaching out, if this escalates we will most likely have an officer stationed outside your home. I'm only telling you this because I know that may worry Penny."

Bethany: "Understandable. Thank you for taking this seriously and for looking out for Penny."

Officer Susan Jones: "Of course. Have a good night Beth."

Bethany: "You as well Susan."

I ended the call and walked back downstairs to see both wives on the couch with Penny. They both gave me a knowing look so I shot them a nod. I watched their shoulders relax some as I got onto the couch with them.

Penny crawled over into my lap and I held her closely. I kissed the top of her head and rocked her in my arms. She relaxed as we all avoided the elephant in the room.