Chapter 26: You Can't Protect Everyone

I just really like this song ^

*3rd person*

The fire is where a heavy battle would be taking place. They all knew Albino was either in hiding or already fighting his brother-in-law. They didn't know where Inasa was, but he most likely was trying to find his uncle.

Burnt particles rained down upon Jiro and Kaminari. They filled the space around them, the smoke getting thicker as they continued down the same path.

Now, not one, but two building were set on fire by an arsonist. Almost everyone was out, but people were still inside. "C'mon Kaminari! They could die if we're not fast enough!" Jiro yelled in his face over the loud noise of shouts, screams, cries and battles ongoing in the distance.

He listened to her and followed her into the flaming building. If they thought the outside was bad, the inside was a lot worse. The heat from the flames were excruciating. They crawled on the floor until they reached the second floor. The second floor wasn't as bad as the first floor but if they weren't quick enough, lives would be loss.

"Anyone still here!" Kaminari yelled over the smoke and flames.

"Help! Over here!"

"Save my child first!"

"His lungs are filled with smoke!!"

Several people shouted back answers and they were able to pinpoint where they were. They waved their hands as high as they could, trying to get the duo's attention. They already had a plan forming in their heads though. 

"I'll lead then down stairs. The front door isn't far from here. Will you be alright to search the area?" Kaminari asked Jiro, a strange mixture of feelings filling his eyes.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Count on me."

"Everyone! Be careful and follow me! You have to crawl downstairs but the door to escape isn't far from here! Come on and follow me!" Kaminari waved to the group and gave them the instructions. Everyone listened to him, thankfully, and no one fought back against him.

Jiro, knowing that it would be dangerous with the heat but had no other choice, put her earphone jacks into the wall and the floor. It was a two-story building so no need to put it into the ceiling. There wasn't even a rooftop, it was bare and there was no access to it anyways.

She listened in and finally heard a voice that was on the same floor she was in, across to the other side of the floor. She raced across the building, trying her best not to suck in any more smoke than needed.

"H-help! Is anyone there?" A lady stood in a corner cradling a baby. Fear was over her eyes, nothing else. When she saw Jiro a small part of it disappeared but not all. "Are you going to help me?"

"Yes ma'am. Is there anyone else with you?" She shook her head no. "Alright then, follow me." She stood there for a moment, questioning herself if she should follow a teen dressed as a hero, but didn't really have a choice anyways.

Jiro lead the lady down to the stairs. She started to walk down and once she was in Kaminari's care, she left to go check around for any more people that might've been still inside the building. Coughing, but still able to get through, she scanned the area but there was no one else.

"Jiro!! Are you alright?!" Kaminari called down from below.

"Y-yeah! I'm *cough* fine!"

"Hurry up and get down here! I don't want you to-" Debris covered Jiro like a shadow. Part of the ceiling came tumbling down, catching her leg stuck between it. "JIRO!!!" His voice was clear even from below.