Chapter 29: What Went Wrong

**So this chapter will be going into the backstories to my ocs so you don't have to read it if you don't want to and can skip to the next chapter but it would be greatly appreciated if you did and (if you want) you can get a better understanding of them (but only if you want) And it'll be from their point of view! Please be careful as you read (if you do) these backstories as some will contain subjects that might be triggering to some!!**

Kai Sakamoto

My mother was an alcoholic when I was growing up. When I was five years old my dad abandoned us both. My mom had told me he had a business trip to go on and wouldn't be back for a while. Whenever I asked her if we could call him she'd say he was overseas. No letters either.

Days gone by without him returning. My mom took worse shape almost every month and once I was ten, she started abusing me. I had thought that it was her just waiting for me to finally grow up so I wouldn't be so weak. Turns out it was because my dad had gotten remarried and his new wife was going to have a baby.

I found this out when my mom chased me into her room while she kept on attempting to beat me. Her phone fell off her drawer and even though it was locked I could see a message from my dad. "You said we couldn't talk to him," I told her with a glum expression on my face. "But you're texting him. YOU'RE TEXTING HIM!!" Even at ten years old I felt betrayal. "Why couldn't I talk to him too?" I didn't mean to but once I asked her she broke down onto the floor in front of me.

Her brown, uncombed hair covered her face as she sobbed into her hands. "I- I'm sorry Kai. B-But I jsut c-couldn't!" During that moment I didn't know what to do. That was the woman who was chasing me just to make me bruises and now she was sobbing after I found out her secret.

With shaking fingers she picked up her phone and scrolled through the messages between her and my father. Once she found what she was looking for she immediately broke down into tears again.

I had picked up the phone slowly, hoping that if I did she wouldn't slap me across the face. But when I did she didn't seem to care.

As I scrolled up and down her messages I saw what made her cry so much to turn her broken. "Mom? Is-"

"He's married to someone else now and has another damn family!!" She grabbed her phone from my hands and started smashing it against the floor. Eventually, her wish of it being cracked and broken was achieved. 

Glass from the phone was all around her, the entire thing impossible to recover. It was broken, just like the two of us would be in the future.

I had thought that that night was a new beginning for us. That she would stop trying to abuse me, but I was wrong. She continued to drink bottles of beer. She started to smoke and abuse me more. Once I was in junior high she started bringing random guys over, too. I never got to talk to her and I had now lived with a woman I didn't even know.

"KAI GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW YOU BASTARD!!" Oh yeah, and she cursed and cussed at me while calling me names. This is one of the better ones by far.

"What do you want?" I had asked her.

"Don't ever leave this house dirty by the time I come back, you hear? What would my boyfriend think? What would your half-sister think?"

"Mom, she's only-"

"Well, I'm hoping she's better behaved than you! What the hell is wrong with you?!" Another blow on the cheek from her hand. My face turned 180 degrees by just her slapping me. But when I had turned to leave back to my room she threw one of her empty beer bottles at me. The bottle shattered making me freeze in my place and letting the shards cut my face and my right arm.