Chapter 20: Meet The New Hero

*Kya*

The early smell of breakfast was the thing that woke me up this morning. Gosh, I haven't smelled that scent in so long. The last time it was this good was...

Kai.

I slapped myself in the face for even thinking of that traitor. Still, I wouldn't understand why he turn himself to the other side but at the same time it kind of did. Memories of the past came following me like a ghost. 

When we used to play on the swings.

When I went over to his house (which was rare) and he to mine.

The times Aria took us for ice cream after school.

So many others... 

At times like these are when I miss my best friend the most. If only I tried harder to tell him, ig only I could have made one simple 2 minute stop, if only I actually took time to think of what would happen on his end and not just mine, if only-

I realized I could be thinking of all these "if only" scenarios and in the end none of them would bring Kai back.

"Kya? You awake yet lil' sis?" My head turned around to the kitchen where Aria stood. I pulled the covers over my body and walked over to the counter near the kitchen. 

"I hadn't tasted your breakfast in a while Aria. What made you cook?" She dried her hands off with a rag nearby and brought two plates for us to eat. One bite and it brought me close to home once again. 

"I hadn't cooked in a while. Thought I might see if I still got it," she said with a smile once she sat down. I continued eating breakfast until I realized my sister wasn't. "Are you alright, Kya?" I looked down at my legs. So she saw. "Is it Kai? I'm sorry. You don't have to eat this anymore if-"

"No. It's...fine," I said unconvincingly. 

"I remember when Kai used to come along with you. When he came over to our house, or when we used to go get ice cream after school. It was nice to see you smile and laugh with someone you called your friend, Kya." Without noticing Aria get up, I felt arms wrap around my shoulders. "It's okay sis. I don't know what it's like on your end, but I know it must be difficult seeing someone you were close to turn into a villain and try to kill the other people you know."

A tear came and fell off my cheek and onto my sister's arm. But I still stayed silent. Nothing changed in that moment. She didn't talk about the tear and the ones that followed. She did me the better thing and stayed, listened, and comforted me in the silence.

When her embrace loosen she came back down and sat in front of me at the counter. "Just know that I'll be here for you. Okay?" I nodded my head and we didn't say anything else after that.

*Jiro*

"YOOOOOOOOOOO ARE YOU READY?!?!

"Geez in a minute. Lemme zip up my backpack first."

"How about now?"

"Yes, now we can go," I said smacking myself in the face. We got on the bus and headed towards the new agency we were assigned today. Maybe this hero will be better than the last one. 

"What do you think he'll say?" Kirishima asked once we neared the building.

"How should we know?! We never even met or saw the dude!!" Bakugo yelled in his friend's face spitting his salvia on Kiri in the process.

"Wow. Now you know that he should always meet his girlfriend before he leaves."

What the-!!!"

"And we are here! Let's go!!" Kaminari exclaimed with excitement for some reason.

"We'll finish this later," Bakugo said to Kirishima almost threatening like. 

~~~

I'm not sure what I expected when we walked into the agency. New? Old? Remodeled? Wait- Wouldn't that still be new? Gosh I'm dumb. Was it Kaminari rubbing off on me? No, you can't blame everything on him even if he is a dumbass.

What we walked into was... interesting. Not in a bad way but not in a so called "good way" either. It seemed more like a weather unit. But they had snacks!

"SNACKS!!" Kaminari was the first who pointed it out and we all, except Bakugo who stayed back and just rolled his eyes at us, ran over to the vending machines.

"Money?"

"Here!"

"It's not working!!"

"Hit it! Hang on top of it!"

"I'll try this one!"

"Get the cash!!"

"Hurry up! I want some too!"

"Get that one."

"This one?"

"No that one!!"

"Don't throw the drink at me! It'll-"

....

By the time someone found us we all looked like a hot mess. Snacks and drinks were on the floor, Kaminari was hanging on top of the vending machine like a monkey, Kirishima had his face smashed against the glass with one hand stuck in the machine, soda was all over my clothes, hair, and the floor.

Just a mess.

"WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?"

"Ahem. I can explain," Kirishima said. We waited for about a minute til he said it.

"So? What's the explanation?"

 "Snacks," he said.

"Snacks? From this vending machine?"

"Yes sir." 

The guy started laughing. Kaminari jumped off the machine and walked over to where the two of us were, just watching this guy laugh his head off. "I-" Nope! He just kept on laughing.

"I told you! I told you these UA kids would be a gift to have around!" Huh?

"But sir, they made a mess," the man next to him said.

"When was the last time you saw a happy mess like this? C'mon kids you can have all the snacks you want," he said each handing us a wad of cash once Bakugo came up to us. "Have some time to relax and wake up if you need to. I'll come get you later," he told us.

The man he was with showed us to a room where we stayed. "Anything you want according to the boss." Wow. Anything? But why was he acting like this? Didn't this seem kinda suspicious to anyone else?

"May I ask something?" I asked the man once my eye caught on something. He nodded. "Why is this pro hero acting like this?"

"Jiro-" I heard Kaminari's voice behind me.

"It's quite alright. I'll explain briefly."