Chapter 47

3 months later...
December 2020

For being somewhere on the other side of the USA in a small household, it wasn't so bad. Yes it was a bit odd to live far away from everything he knew and being a complete stranger to anyone who walked by. But at the same time, it was nice. It felt nice being somewhere no one called his name or recognized him. It felt nice being alone and it felt nice to walk down the street by himself.

He had to admit, the first weeks had been tough. He was ashamed to admit that the first weeks of being in an unknown house had been awfully dark. It was a period where he refused to eat, and nightmares much worse than the ones before hunted his dreams. Nightmares, where his father's body was lying at his feet, bathing in a puddle of blood.

Anxiety and panic attacks were also troubling him more than before. He had had a few panic attacks before, but never like this. There were even times where he decided to do things to himself he never thought he would do. But it only happened once or twice the first month. It never became an addiction though, because having Steve telling him how much he loved him, again and again, helped a lot. There were just a few times where he felt like having his own blood dripping down in the sink was a message to his parents. To Jarvis.

But soon, he was drowned by shame.

It wasn't nice. He had felt like a burden for the wonderful people that had shown up at the hospital from out of nowhere. He had never thought that the little neighbor next to his house had gone through almost as much as himself.

Peter's parents had suffered a horrible death, or that's what Peter's incredibly beautiful (and incredibly sexy) aunt had told him the moment they arrived at their little, yet comfy, house in Queens. Even though it had been hard, having Peter at his side helped a lot.

Aunt May and Uncle Ben were very understanding of Tony's behavior. They took care of him and helped him in the best way they could. But Tony didn't know them the way he knew Peter. And while Tony was helping Peter through the horrible period of his parent's death, Peter helped Tony just as much.

But even though Peter was there, the kid couldn't cure the other's longing after Steve Rogers. Steve hadn't let him go one bit, even though they lived on different sides of the country. Steve had been shocked when he heard about Tony's decision to move. He had been pissed and sad and overwhelmed by emotions. But even though Tony was living in Queens right now and Steve in California, they still made it work.

It had been hard the first week. Tony didn't want to answer Steve's calls at the beginning, and when he finally picked up, he didn't want the calls to end. They talked for hours, and when they had to stop, Tony usually cried harder than he had ever before.

He had to admit it. Being in love sucked, no matter how wonderful it was.

But now, after 3 months of recovering and therapy sessions, he finally was a little bit like his old self again. He did have nightmares now and then, and panic attacks could happen. But it wasn't an issue anymore.

He felt okay. Not healed. Not amazing. But okay.

It was a Saturday afternoon. The snow was falling from the sky and covered the ground in a light layer of white powder. Peter was walking by his side, his phone in his hand while he was trying to catch some pokemons on the sidewalk.

Tony had his hands in his jacket pockets, throwing a few glances at Peter's screen as they were talking quietly to each other. They had no destination, they just wanted to go out for a bit.

Tony had never experienced snow in his whole life. So when he suddenly woke up with the ground covered in white snowflakes, it had felt weird. But amazing at the same time. Aunt May had already prepared newly bought winter clothes for him, just like she had done for Peter. She really was a pearl in her own way.