Chapter 11

Steve had promised his friends to not go to the field right after school and get in shape for the captain place. He knew they were worried about him and if he overworked the almost healed injury, it could get worse. But the same thoughts had hunted him the whole day and he couldn't take it anymore. He had to practice for at least one hour.

He cursed as the ball flew over the goal in a wide bow and bounced away over the soft grass, stopping at the fence with a loud bang, making the metal vibrate a little. He tossed his head back irritated. He had been training for about an hour by now and didn't plan to stop like he had told himself to.

His phone was turned off. So no messages, phone calls, or notifications could disturb him during his workout. He wanted to be a hundred percent focused on his heavy training exercises and always got grumpy when things didn't work the way he wanted to.

Did his foot hurt? Yes.
Did it hurt badly? He could handle it.
Did he really really really want to be captain of the soccer team?
YES.

"Fuck!" He yelled as he, unfortunately, had stepped wrong.

His foot shot a sting of pain up his leg and he could feel how the injury got worse than it had been in days. "Shit....nice work there Steve.." he mumbled as he had fallen to the ground, now sitting on his butt and resting his arms tiredly on his knees. He spits grumpily in front of himself as he tried to focus on something else than the stinging pain. But it wasn't so easy.

"Language Rogers." He heard a voice behind him, making him jump in surprise. The blond turned around with a questioning look.

"Tony? What are you doing here?" He asked with a small smile as he was met by the dark-haired boy. He was standing with his hands in his pocket and a bored facial expression. He had his skateboard resting under his arms and one of his earpods in his ear.

Tony looked at him with uninterested eyes. "I was on my way home only to find your stupid ass down here." He said as he walked up to the soccer player. "What do you think you're doing?" He asked with an annoyed voice and Steve rubbed his hand through his golden hair, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"...I-I need to practice." He said awkwardly and Tony rolled his eyes.

"I thought Barnes told you specifically not to do that before at least Sunday." He sighed, looking down at Steve with a look that the blond translated as "idiot".

"Yeah he did..." Steve laughed, trying to stand up on his feet again, only to groan in pain. "God I'm an idiot.." he hissed between his teeth and grabbed onto his foot, trying to make the pain go away.

"Mmyeah you are." Tony hummed agreeing before his eyes locked at one of the soccer balls next to Steve. "What were you even trying to do?" He asked. "You looked like a clumsy donkey trying to dance ballet." He said as he rested his foot on top of the ball.

Steve rolled his eyes. "Just some simple shooting exercises." He explained and Tony smirked.

"Oh like this?" He asked smugly and bend his leg back like he was going to shoot the ball right in Steve's face, which made the blond jump in surprise. Only to roll his eyes as Tony's foot landed on top of the ball again, preventing it from moving.

"Oh haha..really funny." Steve muttered as he threw a fist of grass towards Tony's smirking face, which the genius dodged easily.

"I just....I don't know what to do.." Steve mumbled and buried his hands in his hair. "If I'm not training, I won't become the team captain. But if I train, I'll hurt my foot again and again and won't even be able to compete."

Tony bit his lip. Here is the situation where he's supposed to say something. But what? What do you say to a handsome guy, sitting on a soccer field with an injury and a struggle in deciding what to do?