Chapter 29

When Steve woke up by the sound of the alarm on his phone, the sun was already shining through the curtains. Happily welcoming another beautiful day and chasing away the dark night.
The rain had stopped falling, and the sky was clear blue with not a single cloud at sight.

It was a really beautiful day.

The blond would have smiled at the thought of going somewhere after school with Sam and Bucky, but now, he didn't feel anything.
The only thing he cared about was the warm feeling of Tony's sleeping body against his.

The night hadn't been as peaceful as it used to be, because of his fear, Tony had woken up in the middle of the night.
He hadn't said anything, but he'd been sitting up in the bed, panting heavily while looking around himself. Only to cover his face with his hands and cry silently in his palms. He probably didn't know that Steve had woken up and worried about him. At least now Tony was asleep, buried into the sheets of the bed so only his eyes and hair were visible.

Steve smiled sadly at him, deciding not to wake up him just yet. He needed sleep. Instead, the blond got up from the bed and pulled on the t-shirt from the night before. He was very aware of the sounds that came from the kitchen downstairs. And that he probably wasn't going to go very far without telling his parents that there was a broken teenager in his bedroom.

"Where are you going?"

Steve froze in his steps as a deep morning voice suddenly was heard from behind him.

"Just getting some food." He answered softly and turned to the bed. "You want some?"

"You do realize that the only thing we've been talking about these hours is food." Tony said, his voice very low. Which made Steve's heart crack.

Tony was laying on his back with the covers up to his chin and one of his arms under his messy raven hair. But his eyes were locked in an empty corner in the room, tired and bloodshot from the horrible night.

"Sorry." Steve said, only to receive nothing. "Do you still want some?" He asked hesitantly.

Tony thought for a moment before slowly shaking his head.

Steve frowned. "You have to eat something.."

Tony still didn't answer.

"I'll eat later." He said after a while.

Steve nodded slowly. "Okay...I'll just go down and tell my mom that you're here. And that you'll probably be staying here for a while."

Tony's eyebrows raised as Steve caught his attention. "What?"

Steve stopped in his tracks once again. "What?"

"I can't stay here- I mean...I don't wanna be a burden." He mumbled, now looking away again. Probably embarrassed about himself.

"You're not a burden." Steve just said assuringly, before walking out of the bedroom.

Tony followed him with his eyes as he disappeared through the door and closed it behind him.

Finally alone.

Alone in the darkness and the soft sheets of Steve's bed that felt so good against his skin. They were so incredibly comfortable, and the smell. The smell of Steve and other saints he couldn't put his finger on.

Even though he was in this position, a position he never thought he would ever be in, he felt nothing. His eyes were staring up into the ceiling with no emotion in them. His face was pale and cold, and his legs felt paralyzed as they refused to move. He didn't want to move.

The feeling of regret, guilt, and sorrow was still there. Stronger than ever before and tore him down into the mattress. He didn't find any strength to cry anymore. He just felt empty.