Chapter 30

When Steve stepped over the threshold he had of course expected silence. His mom and dad were at work and the only one who was in the house was Tony, so of course it was quiet.

But he hadn't expected it to seem so..dead.

He lit the light on in the hall and threw his school bag on the floor, deciding to pick it up later as he quietly walked up the stairs. He felt how his phone vibrated from his back pocket, but ignored it as he had other thoughts in mind.

The second floor was dark too. The only thing that was lit was the lamp in the bathroom, the rest of the house was dark.

"Tony?" He said quietly, slowly opening the door to his room. Only to be met by even more darkness. His confused expression turned sad as he spotted the dark-haired guy in his bed with the duvet covering his body.

"Have you been here all day?" Steve asked softly before pressing the light switch. The light hitting Tony's closed eyes and making his face twitch into an annoyed grimace.

"Yes. Now turn off the lamp." Tony muttered back.

Steve smiled softly before sitting down in the bed, not noticing how Tony slightly backed away.

"How are you feeling?" The blond asked.

Tony didn't answer, he just looked down at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"I take that as a; fuck off." Steve said with a small smile, trying to cheer the younger guy up a bit.

And in fact, Tony smiled. A little bit.
For half a second.

But still. It was a smile.

"Your friends are starting to worry. They really must care about you." He said, carefully, his eyes searching for some reaction in the eyes of the other.

"They should really get a new hobby." Tony said with the same broken voice as before.

Steve shook his head. "No. They shouldn't." He denied, making Tony raise an eyebrow. "But it's getting hard to dodge all their questions." The blond said amused.

Tony looked at him. "It's only been a day."

"A tough day."

"Whatever."

Steve chewed his inner cheek thoughtfully as he travelled his eyes up and down Tony's covered body. Trying to figure out something to say.

"I brought food if you want." He offered softly.

Tony placed his arm over his head. "I'm not hungry."

Steve raised his eyebrows. "You have to eat something." He said a little worried. "Did you eat the food I prepared for you earlier?"

"Yes." Tony answered, opening his eyes and peeking through from under his arm, making him meet Steve's suspicious eyes.

"So if I go down to check, it won't be there?" Steve asked.

Tony looked at him tiredly before groaning and hiding his face again.

"That's what I thought..." Steve mumbled. His fingers twitching as they touched Tony's leg, which was safely covered by the duvet, by mistake. The genius didn't seem to notice it thought.

"Would you like to come down and eat?" He asked shyly.

Tony watched him carefully, the atmosphere around them becoming awfully awkward as he waited so long before answering.

"I don't know. I just wanna sleep." He mumbled.

Steve nodded slowly. "That's understandable.." he said. "But I still want you to do something...I mean..it's not good to isolate yourself in a dark room." He explained.