Chapter 34

The air felt so thick around him. Every time he tried to breathe it felt like the air got stuck in his throat and he had to spit it out again. It felt like he was going to puke any second. The heavy rock inside of his chest that had been hurting him for days was back once again. Trying to kill and cut him from the inside. The space between his lungs was bleeding. He couldn't breathe.

The rather enjoyable conversation in front of him had changed. He went from barely paying any attention, to sitting with tearful eyes and his mouth in a thin line. The sight of Steve's lips, those beautiful lips, connected to another person was heart-shattering. Of every betrayal Tony had gone through, this was the worst. He was going to die.

Without thinking further about what was happening, he stood up and ran out through the door. He didn't care about the looks he got or the loud noise it made. He just had to leave the cafeteria
He stumbled out on the sidewalk, his teary eyes blurring his sight and making him bump into a few strangers, who gave him a worried and confused look.
Tony didn't hear them as they tried to ask him something, instead, he turned on his heel and let his legs pick up the pace.

Soon he was running. Faster and faster. Almost like sprinting away would make him forget about the couple in the cafeteria, who was now many blocks behind him. His eyes were furious and drowned in tears. He didn't let the tears escape and the hood over his black raven haired kept him hidden. The world went in slow motion. Everything seemed so empty and the bright colors of the afternoon sun had faded into a blurry hole of nothing. The last pieces of his heart that Steve had picked up for him, were cracking and falling down to their doom. It hurt so bad. He had to get home.

But where the fuck was home? He didn't have one. His father didn't love him and Steve didn't want him. Nobody did. The only person who ever cared for him was gone. He was completely alone.

Tony didn't realize how hard he was breathing, nor how far away from the lightening buildings he had gone. With gentle and quick steps he slowed down and found himself turning into the closest alley he could find. The one he actually recognized from before. He must have run there out of habit, because when he rested his head against the brick walls, he recognized the red and yellow graffiti on the rocks and containers.

Slowly and carefully he closed his eyes and tried to calm down his breathing. His heart was beating like crazy, and his pulse was pounding against his throat. The wild traffic was still very much hearable and the sun had begun to go down above the horizon. Why didn't he just run to the beach?

"Look what we got here."

Tony flinched at the sound of a voice and quickly wiped away his tears. He hid his feeling as good as possible before raising a questioning eyebrow. Slowly trying to focus his eyes on the center of the alley. The dark shadows didn't really help him and it was kind of a shock when a person, a little bit taller than him, stepped into the light. Tony sighed, already turning around when he saw who it was. The blond hair and the hoodie could be recognized anywhere.

"Hey I'm talking to you." The voice of Liam said a little louder.

"I heard, I'm just not listening." Tony answered, trying to keep his voice steady while walking out of the alley. He didn't get so far though, because about three guys had been standing behind him and were now blocking the way. The genius cursed under his breath, trying to search for their names in his head. He'd seen them a lot of times in school, but couldn't remember who they were.

Liam smiled at his answer. "Oh c'mon I just wanna chat." He said nonchalantly.
Tony hesitated before turning around, his hands in his pockets.

"You have five seconds." Tony said. "One.."