Chapter 55

Tony knew the streets of Malibu like the back of his hand. He had grown up in a giant house surrounded by expensive furniture and awesome toys he used to play with all the time as a kid. Everything he wanted, he got. He could point at the biggest object in a store and his dad would happily pull out his wallet. He was granted piles of the most expensive technology and the most popular video games all the way up to his teenage life. He was famous and intelligent. He was handsome and social. Never hungry or tired, and when he was tired, it was because of the long long nights of willingly studying physics.

It had been the light before the storm.

Now he stood there with his arms crossed over his chest, a vape in his hand, and a black car parked behind him. You could see it between the trees as it was standing down on the road, the car he had taken from his dad's house right after passing his driver's test a few weeks ago. He was looking thoughtfully at the city underneath him, the sweet scent of the vape smoke filling his nose as he brought it up to his lips again and breathed it in. If it would've been Tony one year ago, he would be smoking a cigarette. He would light it up and inhale deeply, letting the nicotine calm in down and do its work. But after spending several minutes inside a burning building that one time, he wasn't exactly a fan of having fire smoke in his lungs...

The vape was good enough. He felt calmer...relaxed in some strange way while he was inspecting the sight in front of him. He took in the beach, the houses, the streets, the lights. The grass under his sneakers and the silence all around him. He used to like the silence on this hill. It was the same and peaceful silence that had surrounded him and Steve that late night in September.

Had it been September that night? Heck, he couldn't remember. The only thing that was crystal clear for him, was that Steve had kissed him. For the..eleventh time? He lost count after they had had sex on Tony's birthday, not that he'd been counting.

The raven-haired could hear how one of his friends behind him whispered something. They were all gathered behind him, his friends, settled on different places in complete silence. Natasha was sharing a cig with Bucky where they sat on the wooden table behind him with Sam resting against Bucky's back. Bruce was quietly discussing something with Rhodes while Clint was looking over the city, also with a cig between his fingers.

They hadn't asked him any questions. They had just stayed at his side, understanding, and quiet. Waiting for him to tell them goodbye, even though none of them exactly wished for him to do so.

Clint was the first one to speak after he had checked his phone all of sudden. "Pietro and Wanda wish you good luck in the future." He mumbled before putting his phone away again.

Tony blew out the strawberry-smelling smoke in the air without answering, but they all knew that he appreciated it.

"You all act like I'm going to die." He said after a while with a little snort, making some of them smile at him.

"You kind of are," Natasha chuckled. "If none of us can contact you anymore, it feels like you're dead."

Tony smiled sadly before he turned around, making his way to their table. He looked at Bucky and Sam hesitantly before he looked between the trees, checking if there was a car other than the ones belonging to his friends. Bucky, who had caught his gaze shook his head carefully and Tony's hopeful facial expression fell.

"You want me to call him?" Sam asked, but Tony shook his head, appreciating the offer the other guy gave him, even though they were never the closest of friends.

"This is my own fault." Tony explained.

Natasha blew out a stripe of smoke. "He'll be here." She said calmly.