Chapter 56

"Steve?" Tony said in surprise.

The blond swallowed thickly. His hands were in the air as a sign of peace while his eyes were slightly wide, his gaze fastened at the gun before him before he turned to Tony's shocked face. The raven-haired lowered his gun quickly and pushed it into his pocket with shaky fingers. He looked the taller guy up and down. Not quite believing the sight before him.

They stared at each other for a long time. None of them knowing where to start and Steve started to question if this had been such a good idea.

Finally, Tony cleared his throat. "Didn't think you'd come." He said and Steve smiled a little embarrassed.

"Heh..me neither." He mumbled before scratching the back of his neck uncomfortably. "I just...you know..something came over me.." He explained. Tony smiled a little before letting the silence fill the air for a little while.

"I'm.." Tony started. "I'm sorry about the fight.."

Steve nodded almost unnoticeable. "Yeah...me too. I- I think I may have overreacted..maybe." He said, not sure what words were the best to use.

"It's okay." Tony laughed a little. "I haven't been fair either." He admitted while he pressed his hand into his jacket pocket.

"You meant well," Steve said gently with a small smile. "You always mean well."

"Maybe," Tony hummed, sipping on his coffee while looking at everything else except the guy in front of him. "I'm trying to do what's right, you know. For everyone." He explained, doing a small movement with his hand. "I don't need any more blood on my hands."

Steve looked at him with careful eyes. His mouth felt incredibly dry and he had to force himself to stay where he was, and not jump right onto the younger guy and force him to stay with him.

"This can be the biggest mistake of your life, you know?" Steve heard himself say as Tony took another careful sip from his coffee.

The raven-haired nodded. "Yeah. I'll take that risk." He said.

Steve wrinkled his forehead. "That's it? You're not even considering other choices?" He asked lowly.

Tony raised an eyebrow at him. "No." He responded, his facial expression unreadable yet understandable. It was almost relaxed. Like a peaceful drape that finally had been hung up and placed in a perfect spot. There wasn't a single wrinkle or flaw, except for a small scar that traced his right cheek. It was faded and almost unnoticeable. But it was there.

Steve had traced his fingers over it plenty of times to know exactly how it felt. How deep the cut had been and how painful. Tony had told him that it was a scar he got from being inside the burning building, and Steve had believed him. He still believed him.

Tony sighed lightly and looked up at the road before them before he took a look at his wristwatch. Steve wished he could see Tony's eyes. He wanted to see what kind of emotion that grew inside those brown orbs when he realized that their time was running out.

"I need to go. Ryan's waiting for me." Tony mumbled not daring to look at Steve's reaction. It was like he was afraid of looking at him. "I wish we could have more time, you know." Tony admitted, causing Steve to look away from the conversation while the other took a moment to read the blond's facial expression. Tony seemed to be thinking because his eyebrows were slightly wrinkles while he looked at Steve with a numb expression on his face. He bit his lip slightly before speaking again, his voice now a little weak.

"I'm happy you're taking it so well though." He said, his voice not recognizable anymore. Steve raised an eyebrow before looking at the other's face. Had he heard correctly? Did Tony think he was here to say goodbye and not convince him to stay?