Chapter 54

This was the fifth time he had felt his phone buzzing in his pocket that day. The vibrations from the device felt relaxing and annoying and the same time. It would go on for a little while, buzzing and calling, then stop and then start again after an hour or two. The first time it happened, Steve had ignored it. Believing it to be a certain brown-eyed genius who was desperately trying to contact him after everything that had happened that morning.

But it wasn't Tony. It was never Tony. Every time Steve checked, it was either Bucky, Sam, or Natasha who desperately tried to reach him. Even Bruce had sent a text message. Tony must have told everyone about what happened.

"Yeah right," Steve thought and picked up one of the cold stones from the wet sand of the sea. "Like Tony Stark would tell anyone about anything for an instance." He threw the rock in a wide bow into the air, watching it fall in the sea and connect with the wild surface with a satisfying "plop".

He tried not to think about him. About Tony. He tried to think about anything else. Or at least he wanted to think about anything else, but it was easier said than done.

Steve picked up another rock. The coolness from the salty water felt nice in his palm and he closed his hand around the rough edges, ignoring the slight sting of pain when the sharpness cut into his skin. The beach was pretty much empty. There might be some people in the restaurant, but not a noticeable amount.

The rain had stopped hours ago. When he'd left the huge house behind him, he expected himself to drive home. He had been crying, but quickly wiped the tears away with the back of his hand. He didn't want to cry for Tony's sake. He didn't want to admit to himself that something inside him had broken. That when the heavy words had left Tony's mouth, he wanted to scream at him more than he had done back there.

He had promised. Tony had promised to stop keeping secrets from him. To face his fears and share his pain for once. If he didn't want to share his pain, that's fine, but he could have at least explained it all in the first place instead of waiting months and months before opening his mouth.

But once again, he had lied.

Steve closed his eyes in frustration before he threw the rock in his hand into the ocean, letting out a little grunt of anger as the cold feeling flooded through him like a tsunami. How could one person, one single person, awaken so many feelings? It was irritating and scary, and it made Steve even angrier.

He watched the waves of the ocean reach up to his feet before returning to where they came from like it was planning to take another try and drench Steve's sneakers to his heels. The blonde kept that little dance of picking up rocks and throwing them in the sea alive for a good while, not noticing the gestalt behind him that had been watching him all this time.

"Are you done?"

Steve turned his head slightly when he heard how someone walked up from behind him but decided to ignore it. He already knew who it was, and if there was someone he absolutely didn't want to talk to, it was Liam.

Beckman didn't seem to mind Steve's coldness, because he was already walking up next to him with his eyes glued to the horizon. Steve saw him in the corner of his eye before he threw another rock, pushing away the thought of also throwing one at Liam for good measure.

"You've been here for hours." Beckman stated and Steve looked at him uninterested before picking up another rock, creating a small hole in the wet sand.

"Leave me alone." Steve said lowly.

Liam looked at him. "Or what?" He asked. Apparently, he was begging to get a punch in the face.

Steve ignored his question. He threw the last rock before turning and started walking down the beach with casual steps. He didn't feel like Liam's presence was a blessing. His stupid face and voice made Steve's blood boil in his veins, but he didn't feel like fighting. He had done enough of that already.