Chapter 51

"Would a cat fit this apartment?" Ryan asked randomly where he sat in the kitchen with a computer in front of him.

Tony, who was in the other room, didn't look up from his comic book as he responded. "Depends how big it is."

Ryan ignored him. "I want a cat." He said, causing Tony to look at him with a raised eyebrow. His feet were resting at the coffee table in front of him while his body was almost completely sunken into the soft couch.

"Why?" Tony asked.

"Who doesn't want a cat?" Ryan asked with a small smile.

Tony rolled his eyes before returning to his comics. The silence finally returning as he sunk deeper into the fluffy pillows and Ryan went back to his endless typing on his laptop while sipping on his coffee now and then. It seemed like he had turned back into his focused mode as his eyebrows were slightly furrowed. Tony threw one quick look at him where he saw in the kitchen, not helping but noticing how the older man suddenly seemed concerned all of sudden.

Tony decided to stay quiet, he didn't wanna disturb in the middle of the other man's work. Ryan was pretty good at keeping himself cool, but Tony knew that something was wrong. There was something in the air, and it had been there for over a month now. Ever since they moved to Malibu in December, Ryan had seemed stiff. The first months had been peaceful and quiet, but now, it felt like something was bothering the man more and more.

The sound of the doorbell made Tony look up from his comic, a small sigh escaping his lips as he threw the papers onto the coffee table.

"I got it," he said shortly as he stepped into the hall and passed the opening to the kitchen, where Ryan was too busy to notice. He opened the door with a nonchalant movement, eyes widening slightly when he was met by his tall and well-known boyfriend.

"Hi-" Steve started, but the door was slammed shut immediately and Tony quickly ran to the kitchen.

"Can you hide?" Tony whispered, causing Ryan to look at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Do I need to?"

"Definitely."

Ryan's eyes widened and he stood up from his seat, but instead of running to another room like Tony expected him to, he pulled a gun from his pants.

Tony's eyes widened. "No! Jesus christ it's not like that! Why do you even have that?!"

Ryan looked at him. "Why?! Because I'm pretty much trying to hide from a powerful weapon organization/crazy dude with lots of guns who want me dead!"

"Okay makes sense, but can you like hide without shooting anyone?"

Now Ryan looked very confused as he put his gun back from where he took it. "Why? Who was that?" He asked and tried to take a peek into the hall.

"No one. Just an overly handsome dude who doesn't know you're here so can you like..not be here?" Tony said and Ryan looked at him unimpressed, already having an idea of who that "overly handsome" dude might be.

"You don't want Prince Charming to know you're living with me?" He said, more as a statement than a question.

"Yep," Tony said, popping the p. "Pretty much."

Ryan gave him a suspicious look before sighing and rolling his eyes. He grabbed a package of cigarettes as he made his way out of the room. "No sex in the kitchen." The man said over his shoulder.

Tony gave his back a death-glare before returning to the door again, opening it with a charming smile on his face. "Hi Steve," he said, acting as nothing had happened.