CHAPTER IV

P R O X I M O

This was the fifth time I had to deal with a rebel incursion this week. It was becoming unacceptable. Their liberties were stretching too far and wide within the outer sectors. They didn't fear us enough now–not without our leader roaming our streets with death in her every step. 

It had been days since my last conversation with Scorpion–she had promised me the return would be soon.

I punched the inside of the fusion craft as we approached yet another rumoured hideout for weapons and arms vehicles. If we didn't put out these viruses they would grow... and soon they'd have means to pose a threat to Division 52's entire operation.

"3 minutes out, sir." A member of the personal guard informed me under an armoured mask.

It was common now–the need for anti fusion plating and Vanguard armour. It shouldn't be.

"Consider anything moving hostile." I murmured, glancing at my wrist holo for the tenth time in the past hour. Scorpion had gone dark and my patience with her was running dry.

We were trying to run a damn empire here and it was crumbling without the steel grip and presence she commanded. I didn't want to target Makayla Xavier for the fallout but my mind was starting to add many things up that compromised our leader–

The craft dropped before my thoughts could turn more lethal.

Our guard started clicking guns and slotting magazines into place. I dropped a nod to the most lethal people in the city.

"No survivors." I stated.

Then the craft door opened and we dropped to the ground in force. Four other crafts circled on standby but we wouldn't need more than the men we had. In red and black we marched in unison to the bustling street. Civilians scrambled out of the way as the Division prowled towards a wide building fitted into the street discreetly.

My bioscan flashed red in my eye identifying a weapon signature from a hooded civilian. I whirled from the group faster than he could react and ripped him off his feet. My exo-suit under my armour picked his weight up like it was nothing. He squirmed in my grip before I sent a fusion round through his head.

The crowd screamed and divided before our target and it fell into chaos.

Weapons signatures flashed all over my eye before I called out the order.

"Cover! Hostiles!"

Our group rolled off their feet and took position in varying defence. They honestly thought they could simply pick off our best in guerrilla warfare ambush. I snarled as guns flashed among the running crowds and hit other civilians.

I pulled a hand to my wrist.

"Aerial cover, target ground shooters!" I snarled.

The fusion crafts above us circled more quickly and targeted weapon signatures.  But too many people still pushed and shoved between them. They were using human shields now. Worthless sacks of oxygen. 

"No clear shot yet, sir." The pilot calmly told me.

I swore and switched to weapon and heat signatures on my rifle. They glowed in hot colour before I picked off the hostiles quickly. My men joined in and effectively ended them with superior fire and accuracy.

"Stand down!" I told the air support. "There's too many civilians." I growled.

I stood once the last coward dropped and the screaming became more distant. We rose as one behind crates, walls or land vehicles. I flicked a wrist up and circled my hand. My guards surrounded me and took all angles.