CHAPTER XXXI

M A K A Y L A 

I stayed with Dex after tonight's drama.

If only to keep out of whatever the heads of the Division were animatedly arguing about. Alex and Proximo were similar after all... A lack of general empathy and a tendency to get to the point. They should have this sorted by tonight.

Dex led us to a section of the base I hadn't seen yet–but I was sure there were many floors I had yet to see in this place.

The music was humming in a low beat around the dimly lit bar. This was a place for Division down time. Agents of all colours and rank lounged in plush chairs and played holo sports or games over tables. I had only ever heard of such things, in Sector 1 it was seen as an outer city pastime and therefore frowned upon.

Dex was carefree, verging on entirely arrogant.

I sorely hoped putting him in this position was not something I was about to regret. I watched him as he flashed a grin at an even larger man and clasped hands.

"Son of bitch–where have you been all day?" He rumbled low, his skin was a light caramel and boasted a towering height with arms to match. I quickly saw why Dex made him an ally.

"Let me get you a drink and I'll tell you where." He retorted, glancing over his shoulder at me quickly. "This is Makayla." He added casually as if we spoke of a new table in the room. I resisted a glare and offered my hand. His friend eyed me in amusement a moment before chuckling heartily.

"Uhuh." He flicked his head in the direction of the bar and nodded to the low beat in the air. I stared after him in irritation.

Dex elbowed me with a brow waggle. "Come on, no rank in here blondie."

I eyed him a moment before a small smirk took me. He sauntered off after his friend and I decided to play it exactly as he suggested. No rank. No titles. Maybe that was a good thing for once.

A few curious eyes found me among the throng of lethal men and women. It wasn't the same as the outer sectors with hunger and desire. This was pure curiosity. Something people with their own skills could respect and try to decipher... What is her area? What did she do to get here?

I found myself smiling easily as I leant on the other side of Dex.

A foaming bottle of liquid stood before me and he clinked his against mine before throwing an arm over my shoulders and nodding at his mammoth friend.

"Ask me."

I snapped an elbow into his side and he choked on a mouthful. His friend grinned wolfishly at me and pointed a finger from his bottle. "I want her story."

"No–no this is about my achievements!" Dex complained, wincing from the blow and wisely keeping his hands on his alcohol. The large man ignored him and leant closer to me with a frown.

"Artella Maxim." He deadpanned. "They call me Art."

"Makayla Xavier." I deadpanned right back, offering a hand once more. "They call me many things." I smirked. 

He slapped his drink down and shook it firmly this time. His whole hand dwarfed mine in its grip but it was controlled and removed as quickly as offered.

"What brings you into this idiot's company, Makayla Xavier." He asked, tasting my name like a new wine.

I shrugged and side eyed an irritated Dex. "Certainly not the conversation."