CHAPTER XLVII

S C O R P I O N

The next few days blurred by me in emptiness.

The Empress was gone and my bed was empty in the following nights I had transferred out of the med bay. True to my word I gave Makayla the space to breathe she wanted. But all it made me do was think more of her.

She had kissed me the day after. But now it felt like it was just an assurance so that I would heal properly–so that when I wasn't on that bed dying...

I gripped my hair and ripped my t-shirt high to analyse the nano seal. The skin was still an angry red but it was sealed shut. A wound no larger than my thumb nail. She should have shot me twice. At least then I'd feel like she had given some of the pain in return.

I pulled the material back down and stared at my wrist holo.

There was nothing from her. Only the Division's constant communication. At least Proximo could worry about that now. I didn't have the mental strength let alone the physical required.

I wanted to know where she was. Because it sure as hell wasn't here lately–no where we usually were. It drove me insane not knowing but pressing her for it would make things infinitely worse. I sighed heavily and kicked a foot against the glass table trying to think of something. Any way to get covert information on a woman I should know everything about–

My holo flashed and it was at my lips before I could blink.

"Scor–well... That's not right now is it?" Proximo drawled.

I glared ahead and relaxed back into the chair, wincing at the wound that protested.

"Enjoying my title are you..." I muttered, running a hand through my hair.

"Oh yes, very much. We just rearranged one of Xafra's weapon storage facilities."

I was barely interested at all by it. But nodded all the same and watched the ceiling instead of the new Division leader.

"You need to take your mind off her." He stated, gaining my attention again.

I looked at him flatly.

"Do you know where she is?"

He gave nothing away. Which meant yes.

"She needs this time to heal just as much as you–"

"Why do you think I'm sat here losing my mind–Proximo I won't go after her I just need to know." I growled.

"Yes, you will. And she does not want to be found." He answered simply. "Don't worry, I sent someone with her." He added with a smirk.

I watched his face then glared more.

"Why is it that Artella always gets so much of her time lately?"

"Because he is the only one I trust outside of myself to keep her safe." He answered simply, pulling up his gun a moment to clean the barrel. I didn't fail to notice the fresh crimson.

"Is she at the Crypt?" I demanded finally.

He continued cleaning his gun. Which meant yes.

"Is she fighting again?" I asked slowly.

He snapped the hammer back and met my gaze with all the calm in the world. It made me want to suffocate him through the hologram. 

"I haven't said anything." He uttered, then he scanned my face with a darker smile. "She's using your name again."