CHAPTER XXX

M A K A Y L A 

Proximo was another kind of pissed off.

Gone were the days of hand to hand with newer members. He indiscriminately went through them until first blood. He was brutal by the harshest of standards on a regular day but something was off...

"Stop watching my second and focus."

I snapped my gaze back to the woman with burning gold eyes and a simple sleeveless combat skin. All her weapons discarded in a pile away from us. I moved a blade restlessly between my fingers. But Scorpion was another kind of lethal. Her training returned to her like it had never left. Only exaggerated by the tone shown off in her arms now–

"I already know your tricks, Scorpion." I murmured, feigning disinterest and preparing for the moment she moved.

I leant back as her kick sailed over me and kicked out her other. She rolled away from the fall and hit a point in my arm that almost made me lose the grip on the blade. I slashed for her stomach and she took the power out with a forearm to my own. The weapon did fall this time only to be snatched by her waiting hand.

I did away from tactics and front kicked her chest.

It was the fastest mistake I ever made. Her body was to the side before I could register it and she twisted behind my back to let the metal kiss my neck.

I let a slow breath leave me and raised my hands in slow surrender. She kept it there.

"Come on Makayla..." She murmured in a low threat. "At least make me sweat–"

I smirked ahead before turning slowly in place. Her eyes met mine with the weapon still firmly at my throat. "Drop the weapon, crime lord. Let's go again."

Her answering smile made my body flash hotter. The knife clattered to the floor and she kicked it away without breaking my gaze. We took a few steps back on the training floor. Alex rolled her shoulders once before gesturing me forward.

Before either of us could move a body rolled across the mat between us.

Proximo's stern features walked calmly behind–his mood hadn't lost an inch. His lethality looked to be at its beginning.

"Let's up the stakes!" He shouted full of venom, leading a group of well built men behind him out to the edge. Alex rose out of the fighting stance and crossed her arms eyeing her him in irritation.

"Is there a reason you are interrupting our training with this..." She cut out, glaring down at the male that was breathing heavily with a cut on his lip already.

"Scorpion, I think we are lacking commitment." Proximo spoke, lethally calm. "They are under the illusion that getting onto the personal guard is... simple."

I scanned  the men again and my eyes landed on Dex's smirking face beyond. So this was his trial by fire. Unfortunate that Proximo seemed to be in no mood for any of it–

"Makayla Xavier is a fine fighter I have heard! But I've heard many exaggerations before..." He drawled, tucking his muscled arms behind him tightly with challenge crossing his features. This man was hell bent on back-hand complimenting me one moment and all out war the next. I glared at him and he returned it with a small smile.

Alex paused, assessing the change of tune. She couldn't outright defend me like this–Scorpion would have no issue with it.

She met my eyes as the man got to his feet and flexed his neck between us.