CHAPTER I

P R O X I M O

I wove through the crowds in unidentifiable clothing. Kuzo's in sector 44 was as much a dive as any other. But this dive held my interest. Dancers moved in sultry sways above the drinkers on mag levitation pads. The music beat smoothly with each sway of their hips.

I slipped towards a set of clouded glass doors. A pair of thickly armed bouncers locked onto my hooded head. 

"ID bar." One grunted over the music with a hand raised.

I cut a dark look to him. His pale skin caught the blue and purple lights like a fucking traffic light. "Move." I growled.

He glanced at his colleague. "Bio-scan this asshole."

I chuckled darkly as they traded irritated looks. "You won't find anything. Perhaps this will be identification enough." I told them slowly as I pulled back my hood.

Their eyes bulged and they froze. Staring at the stark tattoos running down the side of my face.

"Prox–"

"Waste a second more of my time gawking and you won't just lose your jobs you will lose your heads." I informed him loud enough over the music. "You never saw me tonight." I finished.

He stumbled back into the door with a rapid nod and smashed his fist into the door pad. It opened silently to me and I strode inside without another word. A floor lit hallway with more doors on either side. I passed them all going for one in particular.

I stopped before the one I sort. I flicked my wrist over the pad and it glowed before opening into a darkened room. A large bed lay in the centre with a long legged woman watching me with a predatory smile.

"You're late."

"You're clothed." I returned, striding in smoothly as the door closed behind me.

She clicked her tongue and rolled onto her stomach watching me beneath thick lashes and darkened lids. Her black hair flowed down her back in waves. Her hips curved like an hourglass and her lips coated in a dark shade of purple.

"Drop your cloak." She ordered.

I smiled darkly and obeyed. It hit the floor and she scanned my broad chest before slinking up from the bed and standing before me. She trailed a nail down my chest before cutting back up to meet my eyes.

"I missed that body of yours." She murmured as she moved behind me. I stayed in place acutely aware of her every action. Her every game. "Remove your jacket."

I unbuttoned it carefully before shrugging out of it. She ran her hands up my biceps and along my shoulders when it hit the floor. I took a measured breath.

"Been busy?"

Her nails sank into my skin when I said this before she returned to face me. "Jealous of my clients again?" She drawled, licking her lips. I watched the lush purple shine before catching her dark brown eyes again.

"I have no need to be. You have no interest in them."

"And how would you know that?" She whispered, dipping her head close to my neck and letting her tongue graze up it.

I briefly clenched my teeth with a smile. "They bore you."

She chuckled into my skin. Causing ripples to run through me like a live charge. "I like my toys with an edge." She pulled away from me and took a step back. She flicked her hand to my dark shirt.