CHAPTER XXVIII

P R O X I M O

I despised that her words still clung to me.

That eventually I would start extending impossible amounts of trust upon Florence if this progressed too much. It was already too much having her here in my damn quarters. Too personal.

I kept good distance for multiple reasons. What we had before was working... Now it was–problematic.

I was giving half my attention to my wrist holo on supply route changes and Scorpion's personal guard placements when the lift doors opened and Makayla stood before me with two trailing recruits

A quick scan over them all showed me a portrait of what exactly she had been busy doing. Blood. Bodies appearing half alive. Lee.

I shrugged and stepped to the side. 

Whatever effort she had gone to, to give that weedy youth a chance here wasn't my concern. Her partnering with Dex was more curious...

After I informed her of our looming trip to Sector 1 her face became slack. I could see the mixture of fear and confusion there so I simply smirked, drawing my wrist back to conclude my previous conversation while she shouted and swore at the closing lift doors.

But my smile quickly faded. The conversation I had put off with my sister was inevitable now. I had to do something before Scorpion lost patience or wrapped her up in another wild intervention. The lift doors opened to one of the lowest most secure levels. A few facial recognition scanners took in my face as I strode and deactivated plasma turrets. I scanned my palm and retina and the doors opened to a large furnished cell.

Dazz was slumped in the corner with several smashed bottles. I raised an eyebrow not buying it.

"Redecorating?" I drawled.

A bottle swung from her hand and tried to make it to my head. I watched it smash at my feet.

"I don't remember authorising alcohol in here." I said low, smelling the rich wine on the metal floor.

She raised her head slowly, black hair a mess and sleepless marks under her eyes.

"It seems Scorpion doesn't care if I drink myself dead."

I snorted humourlessly and dropped down to the side of the stained wall beside her despite the smell. I spread my legs and regarded the bookshelves and potted plants. I had been in worse holds.

"You're being dramatic. We both know our limits."

She rolled her head towards me with a glare. "Stopping acting like my brother." She spat.

I didn't flinch. I mirrored her move and let her take in my tattoos more closely as I turned to her. Those steel eyes stared back. Not the false ones–not the falsely dyed blue hair–but the real true Dazz. The one I could not end in that room of screens.

"Hades is dead." I stated without remorse.

A collection of things rushed her expression. I saw shock, fear, anger and something deeper. Before she finally sighed and a broken laugh left her. She stared ahead of us.

"I suppose that's a relief."

I froze, scanning her face. It seemed genuine.

"What. Do you mean?" I grit out. "He was the side you chose–"

That broken laugh turned into a grin and she met my eyes again. "You're still such a meat head. How you've run this empire so long is outstanding..."