CHAPTER XXXIII

S C O R P I O N

I didn't see my second again for the rest of the week.

But I knew him well enough to know when to stay out of his affairs... however many he seemed to have. The Empress' invitation to Sector 1 was tomorrow. I still didn't know of her plans or even what the night would hold–only that we should look the part to show we are taking them seriously.

I had half a mind to arrive with ten fully armed units just to test her word that she had removed her Dawn Guard.

"What's wrong Alex?" Makayla asked, lying on her stomach with a sketchpad below her. Those sky blue eyes didn't need to lift to sense my unease. Paper sketchpads were surprisingly hard to find in the outer sectors...

I took my chin out of my hand and rose from the desk. I stood before the large bed appraising her half wrapped in bedsheets and gloriously naked. The blue lights from the window kissed her skin.

"Proximo. Dawn Guard. Everything." I answered carefully.

She chewed her lip for a moment in focus before setting the pencil down and spinning it towards me.

"I can tell."

I scanned the image of a woman propped at a desk with a hood drawn in shadow over her eyes and a frown on her lips. I smirked and appreciated the attention to detail she created. I knew she had talent but this went beyond just a hobby.

"Is it too late for me to join an art club?" I said with a knowing look.

"You wouldn't have the patience." She answered in sureness.

I snorted and took a seat on the bed near her. I felt her move before she tossed the pad away and slowly wrapped her arms around my stomach, kissing my neck. I sighed into her and her arms tightened against me along with her body heat. 

"I hear the southern continent is nice this time of year." I quipped, half hearted.

She smiled against my skin and murmured near my ear.

"Sure. Another vacation sounds good."

"I doubt the rest here would fare so well..."

"Does Proximo even know what vacation means?" She said dryly.

I smiled and tilted my head to see the side of her own. "At this point I think I need reminding, Makayla." I said, exhaling with a humourless laugh.

Her fingers traced over a scar across my neck before running down my arm again. I let her continue to map every line and bullet mark before she found the tattoos down my right arm and settled for tracing their design.

"Do I pass inspection?" I murmured.

"Not even close." She answered, distracted herself. "I think we need a full body check."

"So it is my body you want me for..."

"Oh no, Scorpion. I want that–" Her finger landed directly over my heart but I played oblivious.

"My breasts? Makayla that is shallow–" She scowled at me before grabbing my chin and making me meet those ice blue eyes.

"You're lucky I love you." She murmured low.

But I nodded seriously.

"I know."

She pushed me back on the bed and sprawled out beside me like a cat. A very naked one. It was hard not to turn my head and stare at every curve and line of her, but I kept my eyes on the ceiling.