CHAPTER X

S C O R P I O N 

To think this week had not been bad enough already.

The pompous politician from whatever god damn president would be communicating directly. With us. A man whose lips had been on–

I growled for the tenth time today and secured the bulletproof vest to my chest a little tighter. My sharpest knives secured to my thighs and arms finished my mood. I ignored the buzz on my wrist holo. It had alerted me often. Many times it was Makayla. But I sent orders to my guards with excuses to keep her away.

I needed to slip into a much darker place in my mind for my next moves. Unleashing it on her was out of the question. She may feel hurt from my distance briefly but it was better than seeing the monster I would become to deal with a long time traitor.

Dazz.

I glared at my reflection in the mirror. My gold eyes shone back under the dark lines of charcoal. My hair secured tightly back under the blood red hood. I was more myself than ever–or never as far. I could never tell now I walked this path so closely with Makayla.

I assembled my personal guard but for Proximo outside the craft hatch. The most deadly soldiers in Merridian dropped me respectful nods with fists to chests. I strode past them all with impatience. 

"Someone pilot that damn craft before I lose my calm." I stated into the air.

Boots rushed around me. Either to get the hell inside or prepare to take us up. Dazz had done well I had to give it to my enemy. She hid her traces well. She was invisible in the digital space. But she could not hide from my contacts. The ones that were everywhere.

I had floated a couple of thousand credits for information and my army of spies dug up her sightings in less than half a day. I carefully pulled the Santa fish black blade from my thigh. It glinted wickedly even in the low light of the cargo hold. The jet moved upwards quickly and I stared at the dark metal. The last skin it tasted was an Emperor's. Now it would be my Second's sister.

It took longer than I liked to arrive. The voice came into my ear calmly from Octavius. I did not know he could pilot.

"3 minutes from drop." He stated.

I nodded to myself and clipped on the drop line to my armour. My guard instantly followed suit as soon as I had. I pressed a hand to my head.

"Keep a close perimeter. Nothing escapes." I murmured calmly, meaning more than just vehicles. But Octavius was a professional and as calm under pressure as even Proximo would be.

"Understood."

I smiled darkly and caught the eyes of several of my guard. They were ready, almost eager to spill the blood that knew our most important secret. Our base of operations and its capabilities. They would defend their keep.

"Consider anything that moves in that building as hostile. I will not hold you to collateral." I spoke calmly into the comm, watching their faces acknowledge the freedom I just gave them. The power to do whatever was necessary tonight.

The hatch doors lowered open with a flash of red. Then Octavius spoke again.

"You are clear in the drop zone."

I ran the rope under my fingers as I moved with purposeful strides until there was no ramp left. I threw myself off the edge and swung against the rope as I sailed towards the building roof. My guard were close above following with trained efficiency.