CHAPTER XLV

P R O X I M O

I strode past the chaos of soldiers with guns drawn and levelled at the wrong threat.

I ripped a guard off Makayla with ease and kicked another square in the chest.

"Get the fuck off her you fools." I snapped, turning my glare down to her. But she continued to stare at Scorpion as she was quickly moved for the lift. The blood was all over the floor. "Get up."

She was frozen where the guards had pinned her. I blew a breath through my nose and dropped before her pulling her up with me.

"Alex..." She mumbled, numb.

"When I told you where she was I didn't tell you to shoot her." I muttered, glancing at her glazed eyes. I flicked a head back towards the confused faces of the personal guard.

"Sir–but she–"

"She's not the threat you morons. Get the Empress out of my base of operations now." I snapped simply watching him come to fast attention. With Makayla in my arms I watched the lift open again and Artella appeared with a dark look between us.

"What the hell happened?" He demanded, checking my body over.

I ignored him and stormed into the lift.

"This isn't the time for petty grudges Proximo who is compromised–"

"Everyone is fucking compromised!" I shouted back at him as the floors sped past. "Look around. Her, Scorpion, you–"

"I am in full control of myself." He growled, glancing at Makayla's blank stare. "She's in shock."

"No shit." I spat.

We arrived at my floor and I scanned my eyes over the lock. The doors slid open and I took her into the bathroom. Art was hot on my heels with a demanding presence I couldn't give a shit about.

"Are you compromised?" He demanded at my back as the hot water of the shower poured over us both. Scorpion's blood dripped down her skin. Those innocent eyes didn't see much around her. I carefully sat her up against the stone wall and whirled on him.

"I don't have time to nurse your ego and take care of her!" I spat.

He stilled on the other side of the glass in shock. I took soap off the side and dropped it into Makayla's hands that shook. When she didn't apply it I did that too.

"I didn't know Proximo... I wasn't aware of–"

"No you never are when it comes to these sorts of problems are you?" I snorted a laugh through the steam.

"I care for her too. That's why I am here." He said more firmly.

"Great. Then why don't you make sure our leader doesn't die in that med bay and report back." I answered in a flat voice.

I heard a silence behind me. Then finally his steps retreating out the door. I sighed through my nose and blinked down at Makayla who gripped the soap with both hands. The water ran her hands clean and the rest of her clothings sodden. But at least the blood was gone.

"I'm going to get you some dry clothes." I murmured.

She may not have heard me but I left for it anyway. Her hand shot out and grabbed my collar before I could stand. Those blue eyes finally focused on my face.

"Proximo–I didn't–" She sucked in a sob. "It wasn't mean to happen like this–" It broke off into a heavier cry and I took her shoulder firmly giving her an anchor.