CHAPTER XXXVII

P R O X I M O 

I saw so much of us between a matter of seconds on a ballroom floor on the hundredth floor of a sky tower. Art stared up at me with a mixture of surprise and amusement. The rest of the chaos around us was muted.

"Come now, little second can't we be civil?" He drawled against the dingy bar.

It was one for Lazuras' guards not arrogant contractors. It was also blown to shit with bodies littering the floor and half of it falling apart but that was just a minor detail. It always was when we were involved. Chaos to each other.

"Why is it that you keep getting in the way of my work?" I growled, setting down the broken glass and drawing my gun onto the table with a slap.

"Some men overcompensate with their weapons. I don't think you do–"

I drew it and pressed the barrel to his head. His grin was insane.

"You like games? Here's one." I murmured.

Some of the roof collapsed near us and I flinched. It was all the time he needed to slap my gun aside and force it from my grip to turn on my own head.

"I like challenges. You are one." He answered without missing a beat.

We watched each other over the barrel before I sighed and went for my drink. I took a sip under his aim and he snorted, lowering it.

"Work with me."

"No."

"You might like it."

"No."

"What makes Lazuras so desirable?"

"Clearly the lumps of fat he calls his ass." I retorted dryly. His smile forced one from me. He shouldn't smile like that. I tore my eyes off his jaw.

"Work with me." He repeated.

"No." I stated, sounding more like I was trying to convince myself.

"The credits are good."

"I don't want your credits!" I spat.

"What do you want, Proximo Dartega?"

I watched him under my drink. I want nothing from you. I don't want your smile. That dark stare. I don't want you dragging me from the rubble and offering me promotions on a platter. I don't want to question myself and work. I don't want to think about you–

"I want nothing from you, Artella Maxim."

"I like it when you say my name."

I choked on my drink and he rose from the chair turning his back on me. The heat that flashed me was from the flames, nothing else. He started whistling an off tune song as he kicked a burning chair out of his path. I stared at his back a moment before growling and tossing my drink aside to follow him.

"One more time. For a big number." I said to his back.

"So much bravado, Proximo." He murmured, walking through a collapsed door. "You and I could be very good at what we do–"

"I'm already very good at what I do."

He stopped suddenly and whirled, kicking out my leg so I dropped to a knee. The next kick came to my chest but I caught it and twisted. He spun from my hold and sent a punch for my neck. I had to drop my hold to stop it but I couldn't stop him from taking me off my feet all together with his weight. He watched me simply.