CHAPTER XXXVIII

S C O R P I O N 

Makayla stabbed one of her heels between my legs.

I looked up at her with a lazy smile, sprawled out on my chair after Proximo disappeared. I ran my hand up her leg remembering those very pointed words about what she was not wearing under that gold.

"Have fun tonight?" She murmured, not breaking my gaze.

"Maybe I did." I ventured, testing her.

Her expression darkened and she leant forward on her foot. The hem of the scales slid further up her thigh and my eyes didn't miss it. "She's quite the dancer."

"She is." I answered, keeping the smile in place. The last place my mind was, was the Empress.

If there was one thing Miss Xavier was making clear, it was that women from Sector 1 in dresses were her least favourite of all. And another thing was becoming more clear. The need she felt to show me as much–was more than amusing.

She replaced her heel with her knee and pushed my shoulders back into the chair. My hands took her waist tightly against me.

"Proximo said something earlier..." She murmured near my lips.

I was lost in the floral smell of her that wrapped itself around me and the very deliberate way the cut of the dress dropped to the smooth curves of her chest. "What was that?" I asked low.

"That lots of women have thrown themselves at you before."

My smirk became devilish as I met her eyes.

"It comes with the job."

But her eyes could have burned down the Empress's tower. Her knee pressed between my legs and my grin disappeared. The room felt hotter and it was not the fire pit. 

"That doesn't mean–I responded to them." I grit out as she readjusted her position on my lap and the scales of the dress rode higher.

"Can't be too careful, Scorpion. You could have your own Artella waiting in the wings."

"Do you really believe that?" I drawled through another breath as she moved on top of me again.

She drew her knee back and I breathed deeply. In fact she drew off me entirely and faced the flames before shrugging each shoulder out of the scales and letting the liquid gold drop off her body entirely.

My eyes ran over her legs and up slowly in the shadow of firelight.

With one hand she freed her hair and it cascaded down her back in a different kind of gold. She could feel my gaze burning into her which she ignored entirely. She strutted around my office naked save for those heels and stopped before my desk. Her finger drifted across a holo-pad reducing the flames to a low smoulder.

Then she turned around.

The gold over her low lidded eyes did nothing for my usual ease around her. The rest of her was... difficult to look at for too long.

"Makayla." I said, in a voice that was so low I hardly recognised it. 

I rose out of the chair only to be sat back down by one of those pointed shoes. I took it in my hand and slipped it off easily. She watched me steadily before I did the same for the other. Only then did she sit on top of me in a way that made the blood rush between my legs.