CHAPTER XLIV

S C O R P I O N

I felt the sharp edges of the serum leave my body by the time the sun disappeared on the horizon. What claimed me was the waves of aching pain in my chest all over again. I had no patience for it.

I grabbed a large bottle from the bar and slipped into one of the empty tech offices that overlooked the sectors beyond.

It was sharp on my lips as I swallowed sweet oblivion. Her god damn face kept flashing in the reflection of the glass beyond. That pained expression when I turned from the Empress and saw her eyes open slowly. She didn't deserve the relief this time. Not from me. I had been so ready to hand it all over for a woman that told me my title was more important...

I snorted to myself as I knocked back more of the strong liquor.

So very honest over a bottle of Junak aren't you Xavier... You speak so plainly in front of Artella and to me I get nothing. More of it disappeared in the bottle and I slouched against the back of a sofa shrouded in shadow and lights from the city beyond. It warmed my stomach and hazed my mind beautifully. If I couldn't have another serum I would sure as shit have this for the space between.

My wrist holo probably flashed but I didn't cast it another look. I cast the empty bottle a look and got to my feet slowly, placing a hand against the chair. The world spun slightly but it was well enough.

I pushed a hand against the glass and it slid open.

A few staff and techies remained at holo screens and in offices but they didn't pay me any mind. Who the hell would at the end of a shift like this. My palm slapped the lift and it rose to me quickly. I had one destination in mind and it included a blue bottle.

When the doors opened again I found the cool blue light of the indoor pool glowing back and the ripples moving in the water. I leant against the lift for a moment to steady myself before glancing at the blur in the pool. I pushed off it for the bar.

"Scorpion?" A voice cut across the room making me pause before the bar.

I gripped the counter with a hand and cast a look over my shoulder. The blur pulled up from the blue glow of the water slowly. Water ran off her body in rivers and the shine of her skin in a dark bikini that could have stopped an entire room–or maybe that was just her underwear.

I barked a laugh ahead of me and wrapped my hand around another bottle.

"You try too fucking hard, Empress." I slurred, turning my back and taking one of the stools at the bar.

A chuckle sounded behind me along with the dripping sound of her steps. I kept my eyes on the rows of bottles and not the body that appeared beside me with an amused look.

"You see, I don't think I try hard enough." She noted, reaching across me and stealing a drink from the bottle in my hand. I turned slowly and watched the way her lips wrapped around the lip. Even in my state I lingered on the detail.

She took a deep swallow before passing it back to me and leaning an elbow against the bar. The curves of her body were all the more prominent. I glanced at the line of water running from her hair down her chest.

"This is more of the Scorpion I expected..." She murmured, "–not the one I was told hopelessly chased after a blonde from Sector 1."

"I'm out of breath from chasing." I said flatly, pulling the bottle back to my lips. I ignored the fact that it was still warm from her mouth.

"I don't blame you." She smirked, running her damp fingers along the grooves of the rare wood. "A ruler shouldn't have to run anywhere. Especially one like you."