CHAPTER XIX

S C O R P I O N 

I dropped from the ramp long before we had landed. The air rushed me. The neon and smoke passed my eyes like a round from a fusion gun. Only violence on my mind. Only lethal precision that would eliminate the pathetic threats before me.

I activated my boot thrusters moments from the ground and landed in a crouch.

A pair of poorly concealed rebels flinched, dropping cigarettes outside the abandoned looking structure. But I knew better. I always did.

My hand flashed with the glint of a dagger as the first woman fumbled for her weapon. It left my hand and found its mark in her neck. I walked calmly as she grappled dropping to a knee. The next finally levelled his gun.

A round sang out behind me.

The rebel's eyes went faraway as his body crumpled from a round through the head. I threw a look over my shoulder and nodded to Kartuga who lowered his rifle from the ramp of the Falcon. The rest of my team jumped from the craft and lined up beside me.

"Deal with that." I ordered in a bored tone, flicking a hand at the door.

Thermal charges went up around it quickly. A fizz and bright magnesium light flashed. Then it clanked inward with a bang.

Music beat heavily beyond and I clenched a fist.

"Get rid of them all." I murmured, walking forward drawing both guns from my hips.

My guard took every angle around me as we strode down the hallway. If Proximo had indeed overridden the security cameras in this crap hole we would be upon them before they even knew what to do. As for his sister... I could promise nothing for her.

I pulled my comm up as we went through another door closer to the heavy beat of music.

"What's your status?"

Proximo was instantly in my ear. "About to walk through an entire crowd of rebels with one of their damn leaders out cold."

I snorted with no humour. "Allow me to introduce myself first."

I nodded to Kartuga.

He blew the charges on the final doors and the music hit us as quickly as the explosion did. Bodies were thrown out from the closest radius. I scanned the threats, the details, the circumstance–alcohol, celebration, dancing–

I couldn't stop the smirk that took my lips. They truly thought the Division's Scorpion was a distant memory. A leader finally gone from their lives, so they could press forward in whatever deluded conquest they sought over this city. A conquered victory. I was about to show them otherwise.

Two crypto grenades flew from my guards' hands as the chaos started.

Blind and terrified weapons were being pulled out too late. But I wasn't here for the spares. I walked with the grace of an Emperor through the confused morons on the wrong side. Shots went off behind me and ended threats.

"–the fuck was that?" Proximo demanded, "–we had the element of stealth!"

"Now you have the element of Scorpion. Are you going to–" I dodged a blade and sent a throwing knife through his neck, "–show yourself or am I doing this myself." I growled.

"I see you." He said flatly.

"Well–don't be shy." I grunted, ripping the metal away from a body and firing. Sarcasm dripped from me like the crimson on my face.